Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
deathaxe
Expert
Message 1 of 12

New house and problems with infinity speed

Go to solution

In my old house I had infinity 2 at the full 80 meg/sec with a filtered faceplate as it was a full engineer install.

Now due to ill health I have bought a bungalow built in the late 90's and when I moved Infinity over I was given a predicted range of 30-45 meg/sec with a guarenteed min of 29 meg/sec.

I was told by Mark in sales that now it would be a self install and I would not be getting a filtered faceplate but I need to use micro-filters.

So Infinity has been connected up for 3 week now and I get 15 meg/sec which is still better than ADSL but nowhere near the estimate.

So I buy a 1m solid copper core modem cable for 99p to see if it improves, which it does to 25 meg/sec so I suspected that there something wrong somewhere.

After going all around the bungalow looking for the NT5e master I find it sitting inside the garage that is connected to one side of the bungalow and extenstions have been connected off that and to make things awkward there is no power sockets near it.

I try the main part of the master socket and it still gives 25 meg but when I try the test socket I get the full predicted 45 meg/sec.

So it looks my internal wiring is at fault and I am wondering if a filtered faceplate will cure the probem but due to my disabilites I won't be able to do it my self and as the test socket is the demarkation point I would like to know how much will it cost to have it installed as the internet is essesntial for us as.

Any help would be gratefully recieved but I don't want to see any posts saying that I should be grateful for what I have got as if I have a problem with the internal wiring I would like it sorted now before it gets to be a bigger problem.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: New house and problems with infinity speed

Go to solution

You really need to connect the Homehub into the master socket to get the best speeds so fitting a filtered face plate alone may make no difference if you continue to connect to the telephone extension socket.

You either need to connect the Homehub to the master socket or you need to get one of the extension sockets change to become your master socket.

If BT do that for you it will cost about £130. You may be able to get a local telecom engineer to do it for you cheaper than that.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

sorry I thought I made it clear that when I connected the modem and router to the master socket as well as the extention in the living room I got the 25 meg/sec and the test socket behind the master gave me the 45 meg/sec

I know that the internal wiring is at fault but I was wondering if a filtered faceplate would help as the master socket itself is killing the speed so moving it alone isn't going to sort it out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

No, its not the master socket itself at fault, by plugging into the test socket you are disconnecting all the other wiring. Plugging into the master socket alone will still leave the other wiring connected and acting as aerials for interference which is why the difference in speed between the test socket and front socket.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

So will a filtered faceplate help at all or is that I will have to get all the extentions cabling sorted or just leave it at the lower speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If you add a filtered faceplate, you will either have to connect your hub to that socket or run a data extension cable to where you want the hub. A filtered faceplate will kill broadband on all the extensions.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

If you can manage with just the extension socket the hub is connected to, I would disconnect the other extensions at the master and see if that improves your speed as a first step. Also ensure only terminals 2 & 5 are connected.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

You could try disconnecting the ring (bell) wire.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

This normally works for both ADSL and Infinity (VDSL).

deathaxe
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

If you add a filtered faceplate, you will either have to connect your hub to that socket or run a data extension cable to where you want the hub. A filtered faceplate will kill broadband on all the extensions.

Actually that may not be a problem as I could run the modem/router from the garage (with a power extention) and run a 10m ethernet back to a homeplug at the back of the garage.

Stupidly enough the power wiring is not a problem as I am getting 300 mega/sec from my Devolo ones from aroud the house and the garage.

But it looks like I need to find an independant telecoms engineer to come and have a look and a quote so thanks for your input.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Right an update.

I had found a local telecoms engineer who is ex Openrach and does domestic work.

He disconected the current extentions (which were rubbish) and ran a single extention from the master in the garage to my study using better quality cable and he has done it all for £90.

The internet is now a lot better but due to the problems with the wiring prior to getting to this point the DLM has set a line profile at 37 meg with interleaving on (40ms ping).

So the next question is to how to get the DLM to try and get the interleave down and get the IP profile up as when I started the testing I was seeing 45 meg.

Or is it to leave the modem alone and see if the DLM will do something in the next few weeks.

0 Ratings