cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
welshden1
Message 1 of 7

New house setup

Go to solution

Hi all. Sorry, I'm a a newbie! Moving house shortly to home that has BT line in but not connected.  Am considering BT Infinity, and checked all fitted by engineer if ordered.  Problem is that present phone line is at front of house (ideal for answer machine) but PC will be upstairs at rear of house. My TV (smart - I will probably connect and use it) will be in lounge (about 30 ft from phone socket via outside access). Would like Hub to be near PC as most used and PC definitely to be connected, TV to be wired in rather than wireless (saves £80 on dongle) and answer machine near front door.  PC and telephone must be priority, TV desirable but at what cost?  Aware of 'homeplugs' for TV but also heard not as successful as one would wish.  Infinity speed quoted as 27 meg download.

a. Will engineer connect phone line at front of house and hub near PC upstairs at rear? If not where will he fit hub?

b. Any suggestion prior to engineer visit regarding TV wired in but remembering PC is a priority? Cost?

c. If a. is not possible any suggestions on how fitting will best meet my needs?Smiley Frustrated

Thank you for any replies.  Hope I can find my question again!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New house setup

Go to solution
The addition of another phone sockets depends on how much of a job it is for the engineer, but most of them are pretty accommodating.

Homeplugs are awesome! I have them and they give a throughput of about 50mbps (they connect at between 140 and 160mbps, so they're perfect for media streaming to my TV, along with HD iPlayer and Netflix 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
welshden1
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Webby for quick reply.  Presume you are suggesting new phone socket for PC and hub upstairs, with existing socket near front door for answer machine. OK but thought existing socket, as main incoming line, would need Infinity set up rather than new socket.  Is this correct? 

Happy to try Homeplugs, but thought with engineer in situ, might find a better (and cheaper?) solution.  Do know someone who's iplayer line dropped via homeplugs, but have since seen other suggestions on here about channel changes to the hub.  Now there's a whole new ball game to save for later!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
del3607
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

When ordering infinity the engineer can fit an extension socket if you want the hub in another room as part of the installation service ( so no extra charge ) but the main socket will always be the main socket. As for the TV BT Vision is only £12.50 per month for the unlimited with a one of £40 activation charge. Hope this helps enjoy the infinity

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
The engineer can make the line upstairs the one for Infinity by fitting a different face plate and leave the one downstairs still functional for telephones. Realistically for HD iPlayer you only need 3500kbps I believe..at least for my laptop. I'm not sure if my smart TV's use more. Netflix recommend about 8meg for a 1080p stream, again shouldn't be that.

To be honest, both of my smart TV's use wireless, one in the same room as the hub, the other about 20ft away and both work flawlessly. Same for a PS3 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
welshden1
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

thanks Del. Extra socket info good. BT vision maybe! Will research with someone who has it (have Sky in present address). Grateful.

0 Ratings
welshden1
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks again Webby.  That seems to answer my questions perfectly.  Marvellous.  Half hour ago a problem, now none.  Might use Forum again when in situ.  Thanks all.

0 Ratings