Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robartist
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New install. Size and location of master sockit broadband and phone

Go to solution

Firstly, thank you everyone for the excellent and kind help I have received on this forum. It's good of you all to be so helpful.

As metioned, I am having new BT broadband (fibre 2) and telephone installed in a couple of weeks.

I don't want the master socket to be in the same position as the current socket.

I want to prepare for the installation engineers visit. Both to make life easy for them and also to make sure it goes where I want it to. (And to clear everything out of the way so they can easily access the installation).

I have found a location. Which is essentially near to a sill. That meets my requirements.

I have read on these forums of people who are having problems with the BT cable coming through a wooden window frame because when they install new windows they have to pay (?) to have the socket moved.

Questions:

1. The least damage to the house would be for the cable to go through the wooden window frame? Any thoughts?

2. What is the size - approx - of the master socket.? Can anyone point me to an online photo of one.

3. I think the easiest place to mount the master socket would be on the insdie frame of the window (our existing connection is like that).

4. We want one or two extensions for the phone line. I think the upshot of a previous conversation was that the cables for those extensions would be wired into the back of the master socket. Is that correct? And does that mean that we should ask for a bigger or different kind of master socket. Or do master sockets come with more than one socket on the face for phones? Or is there only one kind of master socket?

5. The existing phone line that runs around the side of our house has an old  repair that predates our ownership. Though the phone does still work fine. Will the engineer refuse to replace the cable around the side of the house? It should be mentioned that when we had fibre installed (pre virgin) about 20 years ago they also cut the BT cable running around our house and used part of it for our phone. So it could probably do with replacing anyway.

6. The arrangement I propose is - and this is vertically from the ceiling to the floor:

a. Router height about 2.2m from floor. I propose to suspend it using some cable ties. Though I could put a mini shelf up there for it to sit on if that is preferable? (why don't routers come with points to either screw them to a wall or suspend them? The strength of ethernet cables is such that they easily tip over when sitting on two small feet).

b. power sockets for router and cordless phone - about  0.3m below router (these already exits stangely!)

c. master socket (about 1m below sockets) the cable for which comes through the wooden window frame. (there's and existing hole that can be used).

d. next to master socket but on the plaster wall of our house, our wired BT phone and plugged into the master socket somehow?

d. window sill with cordless phone sitting on it

e. on the outside of the house - but in a covered in part - two ethernet cables running up the wall and through the window frame into the back of the router.

That's it!

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: New install. Size and location of master sockit broadband and phone

Go to solution

@robartist wrote:

Firstly, thank you everyone for the excellent and kind help I have received on this forum. It's good of you all to be so helpful.

As metioned, I am having new BT broadband (fibre 2) and telephone installed in a couple of weeks.

I don't want the master socket to be in the same position as the current socket.

I want to prepare for the installation engineers visit. Both to make life easy for them and also to make sure it goes where I want it to. (And to clear everything out of the way so they can easily access the installation).

I have found a location. Which is essentially near to a sill. That meets my requirements.

I have read on these forums of people who are having problems with the BT cable coming through a wooden window frame because when they install new windows they have to pay (?) to have the socket moved.

Questions:

1. The least damage to the house would be for the cable to go through the wooden window frame? Any thoughts?

Entirely up to you, but consider the consequences if windows need replacing.

2. What is the size - approx - of the master socket.? Can anyone point me to an online photo of one.

(L) 85mm x (W) 85mm x (H) 35.5mm a Google search for NTE5c will reveal countless pictures

3. I think the easiest place to mount the master socket would be on the insdie frame of the window (our existing connection is like that).

4. We want one or two extensions for the phone line. I think the upshot of a previous conversation was that the cables for those extensions would be wired into the back of the master socket. Is that correct? And does that mean that we should ask for a bigger or different kind of master socket. Or do master sockets come with more than one socket on the face for phones? Or is there only one kind of master socket?

Extensions are wired from the faceplate of the master socket (there is only one size) and it is best to daisy chain extensions from master to extension1 to extension 2 etc. However, if you have cordless phones why on earth do you need to bother with extension sockets.

5. The existing phone line that runs around the side of our house has an old  repair that predates our ownership. Though the phone does still work fine. Will the engineer refuse to replace the cable around the side of the house? It should be mentioned that when we had fibre installed (pre virgin) about 20 years ago they also cut the BT cable running around our house and used part of it for our phone. So it could probably do with replacing anyway.

This has been discussed previously, the engineer will decide on the day what is required, you can't pre-empt anything.

6. The arrangement I propose is - and this is vertically from the ceiling to the floor:

a. Router height about 2.2m from floor. I propose to suspend it using some cable ties. Though I could put a mini shelf up there for it to sit on if that is preferable? (why don't routers come with points to either screw them to a wall or suspend them? The strength of ethernet cables is such that they easily tip over when sitting on two small feet).

b. power sockets for router and cordless phone - about  0.3m below router (these already exits stangely!)

c. master socket (about 1m below sockets) the cable for which comes through the wooden window frame. (there's and existing hole that can be used).

d. next to master socket but on the plaster wall of our house, our wired BT phone and plugged into the master socket somehow?

d. window sill with cordless phone sitting on it

e. on the outside of the house - but in a covered in part - two ethernet cables running up the wall and through the window frame into the back of the router.

That's it!

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help

Whatever suits you, still not sure why you need a wired phone plugged in as well as a cordless base station though.

robartist
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Many many thanks Licquorice. Incredibly knowledgeable as always.

To answer a couple of points:

1 Why do we have a wired phone. We are old and our hearing is not brilliant. The wired phone rings really loud. Also, if we are late hearing the phone then we just pick up the wired phone and it answers the call. With our wireless phones we have to pick up and press a button. Only a short delay but we have missed some calls due to this.

2. Thanks for the information about the master socket. I can see that it has two sockets. One for phone and one for internet. I need at least two phones - the wired and the wireless. I am probably being stupid but how can I do that. When you say connected to the faceplate do you mean plugged into the outside of the faceplate or inside the box on the back of the faceplate using push in wires with the special tool. I can't see how I can daisy chain because both phones only have one line in. Not two sockets.

Kind regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If you want to plug a wired phone and base station into the one socket you will need a doubler device something like this.

doubler.jpg

Extension wiring is hard wired but with the NTE5c a special tool is not required. You cable from the master to  your first extension socket and then from there to the second extension socket etc.

Google 'Phone extension wiring' and you will see countless images and Youtube clips of how  it is done..

robartist
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks again Licquorice.

I wondered about that kind of device you show in the picture. But I thought that the cable from the internet socket to the routher would get in the way of using that device. Oh.......... aha. Does it sit vertically???? Doh... sorry I am being dim. So I can plug one of those in. Then plug the fixed phone into one socket and the wireless in the orther socket.

The reason for an extension was twofold. Fax occasionally from ground floor - though not used for ages.

And the house has 3 floors (ground, 1st, 2nd) and the wireless phones don't get a signal on the top floor so I thought it might be an idea to have an extension up there. Perhaps not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Good point, the doubler might foul the DSL socket. Perhaps better with one like this and yes, you plug the wred phone in one socket,the base station in the other. I'm surprised the cordless phone doesn't reach throughout the house, the coverage is normally very good.

doubler2.jpg

robartist
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the info and the photo Licquorice.

Perhaps I should experiment first because the new location of the master socket is more central to the house and maybe signals will go up the stairwell? Then I won't need an extension socket.

Currently trying to work out routing for ethernet cable. Bewildering....

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @robartist ,

I am elderly too and also slightly hard of hearing. How many cordless phones do you have ?

I have a Quad ( 4 handsets operating from one line connected base )  BT 8600 Advanced Call Blocker.  The 4 phones are stategically placed around the house such that it is hard not to hear one of them.  As a bakc stop, if I am making a resonable noise amount of noise, I keep a hanset close to me.

As an add on I highly recomend the BT 8600, or a more uo to date model, if you want to reduce scam & nuisance call to Zero.

Good luck !

robartist
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks 

We do have more handsets but tend to forget to take them with us. Also - and we have listened to about a dozen - most modern wireless handsets are not as loud as our old handsets.

The signal not reaching the top floor may or may not be a problem with our new arrangement, our plan is to have the new install more centrally located on the ground floor. We shall experiment.

A related matter is what happens in a power cut? Do both hard wired and wireless sets not work or just the wireless? I've always wondered.

Best wishes

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hard wired phone will still work in a power cut.

0 Ratings