Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robartist
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

New install superfast fibre 2 and phone line in big Victorian house

Go to solution

Hello

I wondered if some of you could please give me some advice.

Currently on Virgin. But have moved to BT for both fibre broadband and new telephone line. Install in October.

I understand that the fibre is fibre as far as a 'cabinet' and then on to my house.

Questions:

1 There is a telephone pole outside my house. With an old line from it to my house. Will both the internet and phone come from that pole?

2 Locating the master socket. Where is it best to locate this? 

3 Locating the BT smarthub. Where is the best place to locate this.

4 Will the installation engineer let me have the smarthub in a different place to the master socket and run a cable between the two?

5 I want to have access to the ethernet ports on the back of the smarthub. This causes problems with location.

6 Currently I have three phone sockets. Will the engineer rewire these from the new master socket (or whatever it's called)

7 What is the preferred routing for the cable from the telephone pole to the middle of the house? From pole to house at eaves level then down face to cellar then up in an appropriate place?

Forgive me asking stupid questions. I have no idea about these things and don't want to panic on the day and choose the wrong places.

Thanks for any help

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: New install superfast fibre 2 and phone line in big Victorian house

Go to solution

@robartist wrote:

Hello

I wondered if some of you could please give me some advice.

Currently on Virgin. But have moved to BT for both fibre broadband and new telephone line. Install in October.

I understand that the fibre is fibre as far as a 'cabinet' and then on to my house.

Questions:

1 There is a telephone pole outside my house. With an old line from it to my house. Will both the internet and phone come from that pole?

Yes

2 Locating the master socket. Where is it best to locate this? 

Only you can decide that

3 Locating the BT smarthub. Where is the best place to locate this.

Only you can decide that based on how you intend to use it.

4 Will the installation engineer let me have the smarthub in a different place to the master socket and run a cable between the two?

Any internal wiring is your responsibility, the installation engineer will only provide the master socket. You can place the hub in any location you wish.

5 I want to have access to the ethernet ports on the back of the smarthub. This causes problems with location.

6 Currently I have three phone sockets. Will the engineer rewire these from the new master socket (or whatever it's called)

No

7 What is the preferred routing for the cable from the telephone pole to the middle of the house? From pole to house at eaves level then down face to cellar then up in an appropriate place?

Whatever is the easiest for the engineer basically, he will expect to provide the master socket on an external wall i.e pole to eaves down face and through wall at ground level. If there is currently a cable from the pole he will just re-use that.

Forgive me asking stupid questions. I have no idea about these things and don't want to panic on the day and choose the wrong places.

Thanks for any help

robartist
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Many thanks Licquorice, very helpful

Following on....

1 If I want to have the hub some distance from the master socket is it a case of using cat5e and what connectors would I need.

2 The cable from the pole is very old. About 35 years old I think. Will they replace that?

3 What is best way to connect other phone sockets to master socket? Will the engineer wire them into the back of the master socket or would I need to take a splitter out of the front phone socket?

4 Is it generally the case that BT has a problem in a big house ? 

5 The logic of the installation position is problematic. IF the smart hub is good enough for the whole house then it can be placed fairly centrally. But if it isn't then it would be more logical to place it so that it performs well for one area and then use repeaters or whatever elsewhere.

6 Can I plug another wifi thing into one of the ethernet ports and have a better signal in another part of the house - I realise it wouldn't automatically switch.

Many thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@robartist wrote:

Many thanks Licquorice, very helpful

Following on....

1 If I want to have the hub some distance from the master socket is it a case of using cat5e and what connectors would I need.

You can, but CW1308 would suffice. Just wire from the data extension terminals in the master socket to an RJ11 socket where you require the hub to be sited.

2 The cable from the pole is very old. About 35 years old I think. Will they replace that?

Depends on its condition, it will probably be fine.

3 What is best way to connect other phone sockets to master socket? Will the engineer wire them into the back of the master socket or would I need to take a splitter out of the front phone socket?

As stated previously, the engineer will just provide the master socket, you will have to provide any extension wiring. This simply connects to the removable faceplate of the master socket.

4 Is it generally the case that BT has a problem in a big house ? 

Openreach, not BT, don't have a problem as internal wiring is not their responsibility.

5 The logic of the installation position is problematic. IF the smart hub is good enough for the whole house then it can be placed fairly centrally. But if it isn't then it would be more logical to place it so that it performs well for one area and then use repeaters or whatever elsewhere.

Agreed, but don't use repeaters, either use homeplugs or cabled wireless access points. Repeaters are a poor solution.

6 Can I plug another wifi thing into one of the ethernet ports and have a better signal in another part of the house - I realise it wouldn't automatically switch.

Yes, as described above, you can have multiple wireless access points simply connected via your mains wiring with homeplugs. https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html  for example

robartist
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Many many thanks Licquorice, again!

OK I feel as though I am sort of getting somewhere though I am in the horns of a dilemma in terms of location, due to not being able to know how good the location is until it has been installed.

1 my question about problems with a Victorian house was badly worded by me. I meant in terms of signal strength. In other words, will a smart hub centrally located on the ground floor in a Victorian house reach the whole house or am I likely to need other methods of extending it - eg as you mentioned homeplugs.

2 You say......." This simply connects to the removable faceplate of the master socket.". Do you mean I remove the faceplace and connect the cables for the two sockets into the back of it - using ?? those push in connections IDC?

3 When we went over to fibre a long long time ago before our current supplier the installation engineer cut the BT phone line. And used the remains of part of it for our phone from the box to the house. Will all of that need replacing. In other words will the engineer take new cable from the eaves down the face, around the corner and through the wall as per current installation.

4 You say "You can, but CW1308 would suffice. Just wire from the data extension terminals in the master socket to an RJ11 socket where you require the hub to be sited.". But I've been given a big reel of cat 5e (neighbour bought too much for his system). So are the data extension terminals in the master socket IDC. Then I need to go to an ordinary RJ11 socket or is it a special kind for the BT router.

5 How much cable from the BT router to the master socket is it reasonable to expect the engineer to supply?

6 Joining cat5e. As a result of the router going in a place which is not ideal for my current ehternet cables I need to join them. Is it ok to solder them or does that cause signal problems (?? a thermocouple effect due to different metals??)

7 Currently I have an ethernet cable from Virgin hub to back of the house where I have a TP-link thing just used as wifi transmitter. Can I still use that arrangment

8 You suggest the plug in extenders. Are they better than the BT mesh system with disks?

Many thanks again for all of your help. You've been brilliant!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@robartist wrote:

Many many thanks Licquorice, again!

OK I feel as though I am sort of getting somewhere though I am in the horns of a dilemma in terms of location, due to not being able to know how good the location is until it has been installed.

1 my question about problems with a Victorian house was badly worded by me. I meant in terms of signal strength. In other words, will a smart hub centrally located on the ground floor in a Victorian house reach the whole house or am I likely to need other methods of extending it - eg as you mentioned homeplugs.

You will probably need some form of extender, you won't really know until you try it.

2 You say......." This simply connects to the removable faceplate of the master socket.". Do you mean I remove the faceplace and connect the cables for the two sockets into the back of it - using ?? those push in connections IDC?

Yes

3 When we went over to fibre a long long time ago before our current supplier the installation engineer cut the BT phone line. And used the remains of part of it for our phone from the box to the house. Will all of that need replacing. In other words will the engineer take new cable from the eaves down the face, around the corner and through the wall as per current installation.

Can't really comment on that, without knowing exactly what has been done. The engineer will do whatever is required.

4 You say "You can, but CW1308 would suffice. Just wire from the data extension terminals in the master socket to an RJ11 socket where you require the hub to be sited.". But I've been given a big reel of cat 5e (neighbour bought too much for his system). So are the data extension terminals in the master socket IDC. Then I need to go to an ordinary RJ11 socket or is it a special kind for the BT router.

Data extension are IDC and any RJ11 socket will suffice.

5 How much cable from the BT router to the master socket is it reasonable to expect the engineer to supply?

Not sure I understand the question, the connection from the master socket to the hub is by means of the RJ11 - RJ11 lead supplied with the hub.

6 Joining cat5e. As a result of the router going in a place which is not ideal for my current ehternet cables I need to join them. Is it ok to solder them or does that cause signal problems (?? a thermocouple effect due to different metals??)

Should be ok

7 Currently I have an ethernet cable from Virgin hub to back of the house where I have a TP-link thing just used as wifi transmitter. Can I still use that arrangment

Yes

8 You suggest the plug in extenders. Are they better than the BT mesh system with disks?

I have no experience of the disk system so I'm afraid I can't comment.

Many thanks again for all of your help. You've been brilliant!

robartist
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you so much. You've helped me a lot. I was rather worried about the install - we're pensioners and short of dosh so we didn't want to have to pay for more work to be done at a later date if the initial install wasn't good.

Just for information our new hub does't come with a RJ11-RJ11 cable. I guessed - perhaps wrongly - that the engineer would make one up on site.

Again thank you

Very best wishes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

if you are getting superfast fibre FTTC then the hub pack should include an RJ11 cable (modem) to connect your hub dsl socket to the dsl socket on the master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings