cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeni393
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

New service and a possible issue carried over from previous supplier?

My BT Infinity 2 service went live yesterday. I understand about the stabilisation period however....

A little history. I was previously with Sky Fibre up to 36mb, and had a download speed of around 32mbps and an upload speed of about 7mbps. That was until about two months ago. I had issues with frequent disconnects, and the fix that Sky did dropped my upload speeds down to 2.5mbps. Sky got an Openreach engineer out, but all the tests he did could find no fault. He was getting the same upload speed as I was with his testing equipment. He reset my line in the cabinet, but nothing changed. He said it seemed as though Sky had capped my upload speed at their end, and they would need to fix it. All Sky said was 'we don't guarantee upload speeds' and that there was nothing they can do. This was one of my reasons for changing supplier.

Now my service is live, I have got the increase in download speed I was expecting, but my upload speed is still the same as it was when I was with Sky. I am getting a download speed of 42.45mbps on my latest test and it shows my upload speed as 3.19mbps. The estimate BT gave me was 6.7-10mbps.

Does this sound like a fault? I am confused, as I would have thought if it was Sky capping my upload speed, that changing supplier would fix that. Should I expect to see the speeds BT estimated already?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: New service and a possible issue carried over from previous supplier?

I would not expect much difference in speeds from what you were getting from Sky. They use the same infrastructure as BT so any problems with your line etc would be the same.

I doubt Sky were capping your speed. It is more likely that DLM (Dynamic Line Management) was intervening to maintain the best stable connection for your line. You may find that your download speed will also start to drop which would tend to indicate that there is a fault with your line.

BT will have given you a guaranteed minimum speed when you signed up however that does not guarantee upload speeds so you may find that they will be reluctant to do anything.  They will also fob you off that you have to wait for the 10 days stabilisation period to end. 

To help see if there is afault can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

Test socket.jpg

See link about DLM

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

See link about Minimum Guaranteed Speed

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

0 Ratings
Jeni393
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

But i have switched from Sky's up to 36mbps to BT Infinity 2, so up to 76mbps. BT estimated my upload speeds at between 6-10mbps. So far it's not changed from what I was getting with Sky's slower service.

0 Ratings
Jeni393
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

I can't do the phone test as I don't have a landline phone I can plug into the socket.

I can confirm I get slow upload speeds through the master socket.

Here are the stats from the technical log

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ71560360

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

05-Mar-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 39 Minutes 56 Seconds

Data rate:

3.00 Mbps / 45.70 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

2996 / 48610

Noise margin:

6 dB / 7.4 dB

Line attenuation:

22 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

48 MB Uploaded / 802 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-P8M2

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-P8M2

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:0D:2B:13

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

a.JPGb.JPG
0 Ratings
Jeni393
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

c.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

from the dslchecker results and your router stats you are getting as fast as you line can handle.  just because you select 80/20 package does not mean that is what you will get - you can only get as best line can take

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jeni393
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Please can you explain why, after having a stable upload speed of around 7mbps for five years on Sky Fibre, it dropped overnight to 2.5mbps two months ago?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

You really need to get a corded phone so you can check for noise on the line.  There is nothing further that can be said to assist you until you establish that.

If there is noise on the line it needs a telephone engineer to fix it.

If you don't want to get a phone all you can do is report a fault to BT and see if they will send an engineer out but it will no doubt be a broadband engineer who might not be able to fix a phone fault. 

0 Ratings
Jeni393
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Thank you, I will try and borrow one today and report back if that's ok.

0 Ratings
Jeni393
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

I've borrowed a phone, and the line seems quiet, I don't hear anything when performing the test.

I still don't understand why a line would suddenly drop so much in speed though, from 7 down to 2.5 overnight. If that was a data cable connecting a peripheral to my computer, and there was a 60% reduction in transfer rate, I would be replacing it. My neighbours, who are on the same service I was on previously (Sky Fibre Unlimited), whose line is connected to the same pole, still get a download speed of 7mbps.

0 Ratings