cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chrismalyon
Message 1 of 6

New service installation and after care very poor

I had my service activated on 29th of May. I had to take a day off work so the engineer could gaine access to my property. The engineer that came out was not skilled enough to complete the install (he told me him self he has not yet been trained on installing the infinity service). All the engineer did was disconnect my current ADSL service and phone service and leave me with nothing. 3 days later I had a call from another engineer that was at the exchange who again confirmed he was there to finish the job as the first engineer was not trained to complete it! He activated my infinity service and phone service.

For about an hour after this I was getting around 75MB which was greate. Shortly after this the speed dropped to 20MB and remained there. I called BT to report the issue which took a very long time as it seem none of the people I spoke to understood the problem all they told me to do is reboot the router and modem. ( I am an IT engineer myself so I know when I am being fobbed off!) I did as I was asked and I was told to monitor it for 48 to 72 hours. During this time the connection was completely unstable and the speed changed between 8MB and 50MB throught this time. I called back again and was told they would have to raise it with the next level of support and they would arrange a call back. 24 hours later I had a call telling me they would call me back the following day!!! When I received the call back it was not from the next level of support but the original person that I spoke too all they did was call the next level of support while I was put on hold then transfered me through!!! What a stupid process. Anyway the next level of support said she can see a problem somewhere outside my house and would have to arrange an engineer to visit site. I explained that like most of the population of this country I work Monday to Friday 9 -5 so without takeing another day off work at a cost I cannot be there to let him in. I was told the engineers dont work weekends so I would have to take a day off work!!!! After a lot of complaining finally she agreed they do work weekends but she could only get an engineer out to me in 3 weeks!!!!! She also said if the problem is found to be in my house they would charge me £99!!! When the service was installed BT replaced my master socket and installed the router and modem everything inside my house and outside my house was recently replaced by BT for this install If I receive a bill I will not be paying it!!!!

So far my experience of BT indicates that they are a shoddy company that doesnt know how to treat their customers! I am going to have had this expensive service for over a month without being able to use what I am paying for!!!!

BT are the only company the offer Fibre in my exchange so for now I am going to have to continue trying to get this issue resolved however if another company get into my exchange before it is resolved I am going to have to move to another provider.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: New service installation and after care very poor

It sounds like you're suffering from a bad install, courtesy of Openreach.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

if fibre is available on your exchange then it is available to all ISP's not just BT retail - the choice to offer fibre is up to the individual ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Homer_J
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Doesn't matter anyway because it is still supplied through the same phone line and he will still get the £99 threat if an engineer is needed.

chrismalon: How are you measuring the speed?

0 Ratings
chrismalyon
Message 5 of 6

I have used the bt speed tester and speedtest.net.

I can only order fibre from suppliers that are currently offering it in my exchange. Bt are currently the only supplier offering it. Obviously the exchange is fibre enabled so as soon as other suppliers start to list it as a package I can choose I will have that as an option.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

this link shows the ISP's that offer fibre from all fibre active cabinets across the UK http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/at-home/buy-it-now.aspx
0 Ratings