cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

New to BT FTTC Fibre 2 - What speed should I be getting (just curious)

Go to solution

Still within my Fibre 2 14-day cooling off period after many years with Virgin and high latency issues. Don't mind slower speeds with BT as long as the connection is good, which it has been so far.

Am no more than 300m from the FTTC cabinet, Openreach modem (ECI Telecom Model 061513) connected to the master socket (NTE5C MK2) and an Asus RT-AC86U router. Landline only used for broadband.

As you can see from the attached, highest speed was day after connection at just under 67 Mbps. Since then, never over 63 Mbps. Is 63 Mbps pretty much what I should expect (within the 51 - 73 Mbps range for Fibre 2), or will it shift up/down? Don't expect a huge difference from a few Mbps up or down, just curious as what I've read so far indicates the closer you are to the cabinet, the closer you are to 80 Mbps. BQM seems good (also attached).

Views appreciated.

Thanks

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: New to BT FTTC Fibre 2 - What speed should I be getting (just curious)

Go to solution

The 66Mb speed given in the checker is connection speed, the 63 you are seeing is throughput.

Throughput is always slightly less than connection speed. You may get a bit of a boost when G.INP kicks in which is normally within 10 days.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You just had to make me Google what G.INP is 😃

Let's see if anything changes, but as said, all good so far.

Thanks for the quick response.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

You may get a bit of a boost when G.INP kicks in which is normally within 10 days.

Not with ECI modem though

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@licquoriceOoops, I missed that bit.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice@pippincp 

Should I then go with with method in https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-2-as-a-Modem/td-p/1922978 ? Or is it not worth the hassle for a few Mbps?

Really not keen on the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

In reality you are not going to notice a few Mbs, not worth the hassle.

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hopefully last question on this topic. Replaced my ECI modem with a Huawei HG612 and getting the DSLstats in the attached image. Was expecting G.IMP to kick in after 10 days from activation (12 June).

Is this likely to happen?

Thanks.

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Re: New to BT FTTC Fibre 2 - What speed should I be getting (just curious)a

Go to solution

You are on an ECI cab and only recently has openreach restarted enabling G.INP unlike Huawei cabs which have had G.INP for ages. Just need to wait and see

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 10

Re: New to BT FTTC Fibre 2 - What speed should I be getting (just curious)a

Go to solution

Thanks @imjolly . I thought I was on a Huawei cabinet as DSLAM type says BDCM, and according to Kitz BDCM = Broadcom = Huawei. Wasn't sure where else to get the cabinet info.

Much appreciated.

0 Ratings