cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

New to BT from Virgin - speed quesitons

I have been a Virgin, Blueyonder before it since BY had the 512k line.  I shut the Virgin down as I was paying more than double the BT cost for a 300MB line but getting around the 6.5Mb download speed pretty much all of  the time, on top of this their throttling was a killer as well, often dropping my speed down to 12-20MB

Opting to go for BT I figured if I can get 48MB then I would be getting nearly the same Mb I had before (near as damnit anyway @ approx  6Mbps.

At the moment hard wired I get 4.4Mbps which I am ok with, most I ever had with virgin was 7 anyway.

Problem is this, with the router I used before, not the virgin one, It also had 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, and I used both in the house, using 5Ghz, I always got the full speed, and 2.4 was much slower as expected, but the BT router, on either 5 or 2 make not a single difference, speeds come out identical

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: New to BT from Virgin - speed quesitons

Did you split the networks so you can login to either or both?  Can you go to hub advanced settings then technical log information and post information

can you enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

are you using the test socket to see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

lol, never mind, I have a dell and a Lenovo.  The dell works on 5 and 2.4, though has the described problem above, however the Lenovo only supports 2.4 and steam is downloading at 3.9 with a peak of 5Mbps so looks like the Dell is the issue.

I have to admit to being fairly surprised that the best I can get with BT is around the 40MB mark, I am less than a mile from the exchange, and assumed I would be able to get better, and it seems doubtfull Ill see BT fibre here any time soon.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

With fibre distance for the exchange is immaterial as it is distnace from the cabinet that counts. Run dslchecker and post results as that will give estimate of potential line speed

many devices do not like the networks combined hence why the advice on forum is to split them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings