cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naco
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

New to Infinity but - drop outs, time outs, images not loading etc...

Hi,

We switched over from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity on Monday.

Since then we're seeing constant 'Time Out' errrors when loading web pages, a quick refresh and all is back fine again.

Twitter - loads ok but then some images are blank, a quick refresh and the images display

Facebook - again loads ok but comments might not show, a refresh and they are there.

Shopping sites, slow to load, images might not display

EMails, will load fine but you'll find you can't scroll down the inbox as it's not loaded everything.

Same general thing happens on nearly all sites and apps I try, at random times during the day and on different devices.

Speed Test shows a decent download and upload speed (32mb down / 4mb up)

Ping is about 15ms

I've changed DNS to Googles (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) but still see the same.

Majority of the time we're on Wi-Fi (IOS devices usually).

Sky box is a wired connection, it too has complained it couldn't access On Demand - load it back up again and it's fine.

------------------

So, does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? Bit gutted as we have had zero issues with Sky and only switched due to a BT offer. Kind of wish I hadn't now.

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: New to Infinity but - drop outs, time outs, images not loading etc...

@Nacowrote:

Hi,

We switched over from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity on Monday.

Since then we're seeing constant 'Time Out' errrors when loading web pages, a quick refresh and all is back fine again.

Twitter - loads ok but then some images are blank, a quick refresh and the images display

Facebook - again loads ok but comments might not show, a refresh and they are there.

Shopping sites, slow to load, images might not display

EMails, will load fine but you'll find you can't scroll down the inbox as it's not loaded everything.

Same general thing happens on nearly all sites and apps I try, at random times during the day and on different devices.

Speed Test shows a decent download and upload speed (32mb down / 4mb up)

Ping is about 15ms

I've changed DNS to Googles (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) but still see the same.

Majority of the time we're on Wi-Fi (IOS devices usually).

Sky box is a wired connection, it too has complained it couldn't access On Demand - load it back up again and it's fine.

------------------

So, does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? Bit gutted as we have had zero issues with Sky and only switched due to a BT offer. Kind of wish I hadn't now.

Thanks

Hi there,

I too have experienced some of the same issues that you have described; namely random websites timing out and traceroutes returning dead hops.

What I would suggest you do is do a traceroute to some of the affected sites and see if you can establish a pattern that you can put forward so that the network engineers (via the mods team) can investigate and hopefully rectify.

One of the sites that I seem to have issues with, is bbc.co.uk and when I do a traceroute to this site, I notice that one of BT's key PoPs is constantly dropping one in 3 traceroute packets, something that's not ideal. See Hop 6 in the traceroute below, as an example.

DS9:~ kev$ traceroute -I bbc.co.uk
traceroute: Warning: bbc.co.uk has multiple addresses; using 151.101.0.81
traceroute to bbc.co.uk (151.101.0.81), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
 1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  1.128 ms  0.644 ms  0.560 ms
 2  * * *
 3  * 31.55.186.177 (31.55.186.177)  5.517 ms  5.592 ms
 4  31.55.186.184 (31.55.186.184)  5.885 ms  6.006 ms  5.769 ms
 5  195.99.127.90 (195.99.127.90)  5.558 ms  5.281 ms  5.187 ms
 6  peer7-et-0-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.156)  5.855 ms  5.457 ms *
 7  peer5-te0-9-0-32.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.126.81)  5.354 ms  5.709 ms  5.260 ms
 8  151.101.0.81 (151.101.0.81)  5.514 ms  5.245 ms  5.216 ms

As this is a sporadic and intermittent issue, all we can do is to document the issue and hope that this will be investigated.

Note: Changing DNS servers will NOT have any effect, as this issue is due to a routing server (hop) deeper within the BT network that is either intermittently dropping packets (IMVHO).

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: New to Infinity but - drop outs, time outs, images not loading etc...

Your tracert shows no evidence of dropped packets. How many are dropped at the destination server and is there a rtt problem.

Servers on any route to a destination treat icmp (ping) requests as low priority so reports of dropped packets are a norm in the route. It is the report of the destination server that is the key.

0 Ratings