Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhc21
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

New to infinity 1 speeds not as promised

Hi,

Upgraded to Infinity 1 on the 52mb package a few weeks ago and was told this is the speed I would get. However after letting the service run for the 10 days I was still only in the high 20s. It did start to climb but stuck in the mid 30s. A BT engineer came out (not sure what he did) and now I'm at 39mb and he told us the best we would get was 40mb. Not vey happy as this is not what I was told when I signed up, i could have got better deals with other providers for basically the same speed but the 52mb swung me. What I don't understand is using the ADSL checker it shows below. If it is the case we can get what it says why did the engineer tell us we would only get 40mb on the 52mb service? I would even consider changing to Infinity 2 if I could get the higher speed and make BT refund the £50 activation fee and pay the extra monthly as it is a minimal difference over the term of the contract. Considering the false statements given to me when getting Infinity 1 I don't trust what I might get told. Am I missing something here?

Image1s.jpg

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: New to infinity 1 speeds not as promised

Changing to Infinity 2 would make absolutely no difference to your connection speed unless any line issue was fixed.
Infinity 1 has a connection speed cap of 55 and Infinity 2 a cap of 80, but your line is only connecting at around 40 due to the line conditions.

Did the engineer or BT tell you the reason given for your line performance being so much lower than the clean A range estimate? You should be pretty close to the street cabinet going by your checker results.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

Did the order confirmation or a BT advisor tell you a guaranteed minimum speed?

If you are connected at below that speed and BT can't resolve it within 28 days of you reporting it then you can cancel the contract penalty free if you want to.

See
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

are you connected to test socket with a new filter especially if you have extension sockets in other rooms

was the dslchecker based on your phone number

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
rhc21
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

I wasn't there when the engineer visited and he didn't elaborate why 40mb was the max to my wife. Looking back at the email confirmation it states a guaranteed minimum of 50mb. 

0 Ratings
rhc21
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

I will get the info tonight from the HH5. 

I am currently connected to the faceplate although have tried through the test socket and got the same results. I'm reluctante to plug back into the test socket as i don't want to disconnect again and I got not difference before. I don't have any extensions connected or wired into the socket. The filter is new as i used the one that came with the home hub. Dslchecker was based on my phone number.

I also tried the quiet line test after reading your other help posts and while I don't have a wired phone I couldn't hear any noise on the line.

0 Ratings
rhc21
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Here is the info from the HH5. The low uptime is because it rebooted last night

Image1d.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Attenuation is very high and doesnt make sense compared to the high values of the dsl checker that indicate you are very close to the cabinet
rhc21
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Thanks for looking, what causes a high attenuation and what does it effect?

I have no idea where the cabinet is, are they always overground or could it be underground?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Cabinets are always above ground.

Attenuation is a measurement of loss, the higher the attenuation, the further you are from the source (cabinet)
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’