cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

No Broadband Over Christmas

My internet went out on Christmas Eve of all days and I contacted BT. They said there was a problem with the line just outside my house(from what I've read this happaned to another user and this seems like a generic response for "we dont know what is wrong"). They said they'd booked an engineer to come on the 27th between 1pm and 6pm, and obviously no one showed up. I checked the fault tracker on the website and It said the problem had been solved, which was not the case. So I called BT again, spending 50+ mins talking to them, they couldn't tell me why the engineer didn't show up and all they did was say they could book another engineer to come on the 29th. This is unacceptable, I'm seriously considering leaving BT for this horrible service. I know this has happened to others, does anyone know a solution? I'm pretty sure they're gonna pull the same stuff again where the engineer mysteriously doesn't show up and the fault will be marked as fixed.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: No Broadband Over Christmas

Welcome to this user forum.

The engineer would be from Openreach, not BT Retail. Openreach provide the network for all other providers except Virgin Media, so you would still have the same issue with another provider.

Is your phone line working, and is there any noise on the dial tone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 36

If the fault was marked as resolved it could’ve been that BT Wholesale Cancelled the Appointment.

They have an annoying habit of doing that. They’re also well known for reporting faults without the knowledge of the CP, aka BT Retail or the EU.

Openreach Engineers have been showing up at peoples homes after receiving a fault report only to be turned away because the EU hasn’t reported one.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 36

My phone line works perfectly, however there is a slight static during calls, not sure if this is relevant. Also it shouldn't matter if the engineers aren't from BT directly, BT uses them, my internet should not be out for 4+ days around the christmas period.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

There should not really be any noise on your line.

Have you dialled 17070 to check your number is correct, just in case you have a crossed line?

If its not resolved on the 29th, then a moderator can be asked to assist.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Just called, the line seems to be fine. How exactly would a moderator be able to assist?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

@CrippledPenguin123 wrote:
Just called, the line seems to be fine. How exactly would a moderator be able to assist?

They can look into the problem, and take ownership until its resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 36

If they are able to get an engineer to my house more quickly I'd appreciate them taking ownership now considering the first didn't show up I'm not all that confident that the second will be any better. If that does turn out to be the case I will end up waiting even longer and will most likely be without internet on New Years Eve and New Years Day, in which case I will just leave BT and find another provider.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

As you have an appointment for tomorrow, its not going to be any quicker.

As its most likely an external fault, then that will be with Openreach at the moment, who are usually very busy this time of the year.,

Openreach do the work for all providers except Virgin Media, so leaving BT Retail, is not going to fix the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 36

JUST AS SUSPECTED!!!, Exact same thing happened. An engineer was booked for the 29th between 12pm and 3pm, the fault is marked as fixed at 12:11pm, but alas we still have no internet. This is a joke, how come they didn't even contact me or enter my house to even test it. Do you expect me to wait days between pointless engineer visits that result is absolutely nothing? FIX MY INTERNET!

0 Ratings