cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAce100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: HELP - Aluminium lines

I'm just answering the question. Obviously there is going to have be a change of telephone lines eventually!

0 Ratings
DataAce100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Re: No Broadband as yet

Yes, we have a phone.  We are on Emergency Aluminium, which was put down in the 1970's. Please remember Mrs Thatcher.  quote "Don't forget your aluminium"!

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 21

Re: HELP - Aluminium lines

The Ali Cable will be changed as and when it goes faulty and prevents Voice Services.

Openreach won’t replace it just to speed up people’s internet.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

if you have a working phone line then that is all openreach currently are required to provide

if you are on a long line from exchange/cabinet and also aluminium then that really is unlucky but I doubt openreach will do anything as long as phone works

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DataAce100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 21

Re: Upgrade of Aluminum Wiring Before Superfast Implemented

I just noticed the thread on the subject.  I find the subjet fascinating.

We've had our aliminium for years, but we live in the countryside, so our line is very long!  I use a dongle instead. BT Broadband is expensive anyway. It should be cheaper. BT have said if we want Broadband they can change the line, but it costs too much. They don't do it for free. That what make it so frustrating!

0 Ratings
DataAce100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Yes, our line is very long. We live in the countryside. BT have said they can change the line, but it could cost a lot of money. It's over fields and streams. So we use mobile broadband instead. I know that isn't something BT would like to hear, but it is the reality of the situation. If alumimum lines were banned or something that would make things a lot easier for us, but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 17 of 21

It has nothing to do with BT as Openreach are now a totally seperate legal company. The distances you describe would mean VDSL would not be available to you anyway even over copper cable.

0 Ratings
DataAce100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Never mind!  It is a good phone line for voice calls and we have never had any problems with it.

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 21

‘Yes, we have a phone. We are on Emergency Aluminium, which was put down in the 1970's. Please remember Mrs Thatcher. quote "Don't forget your aluminium"!’

Emergency Aluminium?????

Phone lines normally used Copper as it acts as a better conductor but during the late 1960’s right through to the late 1970’s BT, or whatever they were then called had to start using Aluminium because Copper become very expensive. It was never used as an Emergency, more as an alternative.

There is absolutely zero plans for BT or Openreach to start replacing Ali Cable with Copper, what’d be the point as they could just replace it with Fibre, which they are in the process of doing in rural areas, I know because I Install it. Unfortunately they can’t magic it in everywhere overnight and the roll out will take time.
0 Ratings
DataAce100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 21

There was a severe shortage of copper in the 70's. They are called "Emergency Aluminium Cabling". It was serious. They are emergency lines. There was what it was called.
0 Ratings