Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smh1982
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

No DSL light bt infinity 1/fibre

Go to solution
Hi all. I've just joined in the hope someone could give me some advice please. I have bt infinity 1 / fibre. This was set up with the home hub 4 and white modem. This morning I couldn't get any internet. The home hub 4 was flashing orange. I've tried powering it down, restarting and resetting it. This still didn't work. The power light and lan1 light are green on the white modem but no DSL light. As I had a spare home hub 5 I tried this but the DSL light on the white modem still isn't there (the DSL cable is connected from the master socket to the white modem) and the home hub 5 is still flashing orange. I had an open fault which was closed today due to inactivity as I had to contact by on Monday evening due to disconnections and low speeds which I thought was sorted by changing the wireless frequencies etc on the home hub. I checked to see if there were any problem in my area (0114). It said on the service status there were no issues. I contacted bt this morning and it took 5 attempts to log it. The tech support advisors apparently didn't have access to the correct tools to log it or they would hang up when I explained the reason for my call. After doing a line check I was informed it was a network issue. I then had a call back asking to do some checks with the cables in master sockets etc. I was then informed it was due to some work going off in the attercliffe area of Sheffield. Bt are meant to be calling me back tomorrow between 2-4 with an update but I was wondering could anyone advise if I could do something at my end to get it back up and running as I'm not holding out much hope to be told one thing, then another and then be told even though it's saying everything should be fine with the broadband when I do the line test on the website that it's a problem with an exchange that's about 4 mile from my house that I'm not even on. Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: No DSL light bt infinity 1/fibre

Go to solution

If you have a home hub 5, you do not need the white Openreach modem. Simply connect the DSL input of the home hub 5 into the master socket, instead of the white modem.

The white Openrach modems or their power units, do fail.

0 Ratings
Smh1982
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply. Will that have any impact on the orang light on the home hub 5?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
if your modem has a problem then connecting up the hub5 as Keith has explained will reconnect you
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Smh1982
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for the replies but I think I must be stupid and doing it wrong as I'm still having no luck. The orange light is still flashing despite connecting the DSL cable to the back of the home hub 5. If I take the red cable out the back (bit confused to whether I need it looking online and in the guide that's come with the hub) the red broadband light starts flashing. Once again I've powered down and reset it but still can't get a connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Are you using just the hh5 with the modem cable which is connected to master socket connected to the hub DSL socket and not the wan socket. If you use the modem then the modem cable is connected from the master to the modem and then the Ethernet cable from the modem to the hh5 wan socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Smh1982
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
I'm even more confused now than at the beginning when I posted. The DSL cable is going from the master socket to the home hub. There is a red cable which is going from the wan/broadband red socket on the home hub to the lan1 socket on the white modern. As far as I'm aware there aren't any modem cables going to the master socket. There is a cable going from the home hub going to a power line facility so the ps upstairs can get broadband
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

So what is connected to the modem?

if using modem cable from the the master to hub DSL socket then you should not be connecting anything to wan socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

adsl.jpgyour hub 5 should be connected like this you no longer need the openreach modem with the hub 5

0 Ratings