cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukpcum1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

No Fibre Connection - PON light Flahing

Hi - looking for some guidance from some of the experts on here. Woke up Thursday morning and my fibre is off line, I have FTTP (infinity 2). The light on the Smart hub was Orange and the PON light on the ONT unit was flashing. Now this has happened before but resolved it itself within an hour or so, none of my neighbours have this issue (also FTTP), so just wondereing what the issue might be. I was supposed to have an engineer Friday but due to the weather no-one turned up which I understand but no-one contacted me from BT or Openreach to tell me. I’m now supposed to have an engineer on Wednesday but have had no confirmation of appointment, I’ve had big issues in the past with BT/Openreach missing appointments, I was without a connection for 15 days from 23rd Dec as a contractor working on behalf of Openreach broke my fibre line by the manifold. Anyway any guidance on why the PON my be flashing in this instance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Peter
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
ukpcum1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: No Fibre Connection - PON light Flahing

Now randomly working again, PON solid green, blue light on router, after seemingly no intervention...odd?
0 Ratings
Luke0493
Message 3 of 8

Hey, If your PON light has been flashing it is losing sync with the exchange, now there are a few possible culprits for this, but what i would suggest although now working fine, is to follow through with the engineer visit, incase there is an underlying fault on the line to which case the engineer will be able to get a log of any dropping PPP sessions and check the light readings on your fibre cable are correct.

Don't leave it until it goes off again.

Thanks

Luke.

Highlighted
Luke0493
Message 4 of 8

Hey Ukpcum1, What id suggest it to follow through with the engineer visit, and check the cable with the green sleeve to see if is loose or damaged within the home, Also check your external fibre cabling to see if the cover is still intact and is not open to the elements.

If the PON light is flashing, You are losing your SYNC with the exchange and if the light levels are low at your premise then this will be an on-going problem.

Get an engineer out to check the splice and your light levels incase this is an underlying fault.

with your service being (FTTP) its an On or Off service, there shouldn't be any drops now it could be caused by alot of things such over filling the capacity within the exchange or planned works on the line but id definately get that checked by an engineer.

Thanks

Luke.

0 Ratings
ukpcum1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the hints, will definitely keep the engineer visit to check what the rootcause maybe.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

If it’s randomly going on and off I doubt it’ll be a disconnection.

Most likely will be a bad splice, chip in the Fibre or as stupid as it sounds the connector is dirty causing Light Loss.

For Fibre to work properly is needs a Light Loss of no more than 25dB but ideally it would be no more than 20dB. Anything between 26 and 30 it’ll be intermittent. Go above 31 and it won’t work at all.

You mentioned someone caused damage to the Manifold once so I assume you have Legacy Fibre and not CBT Fibre.
0 Ratings
ukpcum1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Sorry but what does Legacy Fibre and not CBT Fibre mean?

When the engineer fixed the break, he had to pullout the broken Fibre and re-blow back to my property, infact he had to do it for all the neighbours that were coming from that manifold as it was all a mess, unfortunately I was the un-lucky one that it impacted the most.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Legacy FTTP is where the blow Fibre through and splice it.

CBT is the new Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre. That’s where they fit a connectorised end without the need to splice it.

Legacy Fibre is better, CBT has over a 20% failure rate.
0 Ratings