cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Djgrr
Message 1 of 14

No Infinity connection between beyond wall socket but cannot get Engineer to diagnose problem.

Dear all,

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help as I'm currently stuck in an infinite loop of customer support imcompetence.

Until Monday, my Infinity 2 connection was working perfectly. Now, the router cannot connect to the internet. I have tried replacing the cable between the socket and the router, tried 3 different routers and gone through all the steps as recommended by level 1 support.

The evidence suggests that it is not the equipment at home that has a problem, but that the problem lies in the wall socket or earlier. However, level 1 support tell me there diagnostics can connect to the hub (it can't, they tell me it can even when it's unplugged) and there is a connection from my property to the exchange. Therefore, they cannot arrange an engineer.

Can anyone suggest how to get an engineer to come to the property, or, even better, if there is something I can do to fix the issue myself please?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: No Infinity connection between beyond wall socket but cannot get Engineer to diagnose problem.

Is it just the broadband that has stopped working or has your phone stopped too?

0 Ratings
Djgrr
Message 3 of 14

Re: No Infinity connection between beyond wall socket but cannot get Engineer to diagnose problem.

The phone is working fine.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

if phone working have you tried the test socket with a new filter  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Djgrr
Message 5 of 14

I haven't. I have socket type 5, if that makes a difference?

Is the test socket a third socket beneath the face plate? Is it for the phone or the DSL connector? (I'm not at the socket currently to check.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Yes below the faceplate
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

if you have an SSFP then test socket shown by black arrow

test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Djgrr
Message 8 of 14

Thanks everyone for the quick posts so far, it's appreciated. What am I trying to determine from the test socket? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

to see if your internet will work sugegsting problem with socket or wiring  if still nothing the problem outside your home and you need broadband engineer and need to phone customer services

0 Ratings
Djgrr
Message 10 of 14

Ah, I see. If it does work, are there any reasons why I couldn't just run the broadband through it until and engineer arrives? If it works, I assume the problem lies with the filter (and it's wiring) that I would have removed. 

I'm assuming that plugging my DSL cable into this socket and then checking connectivity on the router (I'm using an ASUS model rather than home hub) would suffice? Alternatively, by plugging in the white Openreach box and verifying the DSL light comes on)?

0 Ratings