Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benhughes
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

No Ports Free In My Local Exchange!!!

Hi there,

I was wondering whether somebody may be able to answer my questions, as I am struggling to get the answers from the BT Operators.

Yesterday I signed up to BT Fibre optic in my area CM14 5FW and today I have had a call to tell me that "There are no ports available in your exchange, and that we need to wait for one to become available".

Firstly - When you normally run out of ports what is the course of action you take? Do you simply wait for people to leave BT and then use the port when it becomes available?

Secondly - What if 4 other people in my area ask to join BT, now you have 5 ports needed.. Surely you would fit another switch in the exchange?

I find this absolutely crazy that you have called me up to tell me you ran out of ports.. That is such a small problem, and now it means that nobody (including me) in my area has to wait for ports to become available!

Thanks,

Ben Hughes

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: No Ports Free In My Local Exchange!!!

If you've upgraded to fibre it's the ports in the cabinet that will be full, not the exchange.

If there's space for a new line card in the cabinet, then more ports will become available soon, it usually takes 1-3 weeks for new line cards to be installed.

The ports are not BT ports. Openreach own the ports and they're available to any ISP.

Worst case scenario is that the cabinet is completely fill with no space for additional line cards. If this is the case, you'll need to wait for someone to cancel their service for the port to become free. Or, wait for Openreach to install a second fibre cabinet although this can take around 12 months.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

I've just checked 3 addresses in your postcode (cabinet 101 on Brentwood exchange) and it shows available with no mention of the cabinet being full.

It could be that a new line card has been fitted, or that the DSL checker hasn't yet updated to show the cabinet being full.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
benhughes
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

So what would you recommend me doing? As I have paid for the setup and have now been told this and there is no way I can wait longer than 3 weeks for this to be setup.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

this will show  your cabinet availability

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

I've checked John and it shows available for all addresses in the post code.

When you say you can't wait? Why not? Don't you have regular broadband at the moment?

If you don't have virgin in your area then there isn't really anything you can do to get higher speed broadband.
benhughes
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I dont have regular internet at the moment as I have just moved into the address. There would be no point in me getting cooper to get a 2Mb line as this would be like having no internet.

How live is this information? This is a new line I have asked to get setup for Fibre and today they said there is no ports free.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If there are no ports free then as above, if no Virgin you have no choice but to get copper broadband if you want a fixed line service.

You will just need to wait to see the outcome of the capacity issue.

Have you tried contacting the online order team for an update?