Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

No current ISP or phone provider - ORDI problem

Go to solution

Hi. Would be grateful for help with this. My house has no current ISP or phone provider but I do have an overhead line and a BT master socket installed around 1998 both of which ceased to be used around 2001. My next door neighbour (my house is semi detached) has fibre to cabinet as the exchange is fibre enabled and the cabinet in question has (im told by Openreach) got spare fibre connections. Phoning for a price to connect fibre to cabinet to this house ISP response is this is a Silver address so I must get Openreach to perform an ORDI to make my address into a Gold one which will apparently then enable ISP to give me availablility and price for fibre to cabinet broadband. Openreach say it is for the ISP to do not them. I am stuck in the middle. Any advice about how to get my address made Gold please?!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: No current ISP or phone provider - ORDI problem

Go to solution

Which provider are you going to use, as its up to them to ask Openreach for an update?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Do a 2 part install, have the line installed first, then add broadband to that line once active.

You'll most likely have to pay a connection charge for the line but it's your quickest option.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks. I would like Vodafone but consider BT  - but whichever it is they say they cannot perform an ORDI process and without that they cannot do anything!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

BT will install your line if you ring and order one, once you have an active line the broadband will be easily added, you'll not be able to do a SIM2 provide (line and bb on the same day) so there will be a delay adding broadband.

If you wish to join Vodafone then ask them, however BT will be able to supply you the line and broadband at your address without the need to raise an ORDI.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

They will not do anything until you place an order for a phone line, so you will have to make a choice of Service Provider first.

If for instance you place an order with BT Retail, once the order is in the system, BT Retail will contact Openreach with provision request, and the database will be updated then.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you. Vodafone and other non BT ISP's  say they cannot connect a line without an ORDI process being done and Openreach say its the ISP role to do that and the ISPs say it is Openreach.  BT might connect a line if I get hold of a helpful person on the phone but they tell me all they can offer is the slowest possible speed whereas I know that once ORDI done and the address is Gold they should be able to offer fibre to cabinet speed. I am very reluctant to take this slowest speed and feel BT is behaving like a monopoly as the other ISPs cant seem to offer anything becauase they are in the loop I mentioned (Openreach say its the ISP role to do ORDI and the ISPs say it is Openreach!)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I don't know how other ISP's work but BT can manually place the order for the line without the need to raise an ORDI, then as mentioned add broadband to that active line.

Just because BT can offer you service that others won't/can't doesn't mean a monopoly, maybe the person(s) you spoke to at Vodafone were new to the role, who knows ? to be fair there isn't much difference between the 2 in terms of new customer deals, so pick one and then at the end of the minimum term you can switch to any of the hundreds of ISP's that use the Openreach network.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

All fibre providers use the same Openreach cabinet, so it makes no difference who you choose, if you are connected to a fibre enabled cabinet, and there is spare capacity, then you will get fibre broadband.

Nothing will happen until you place an order.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

As already stated , if you can get BT to raise an order for a line, but you cannot get your preferred provider to do the same, then that is a reflection on that company's poor understanding of the common ordering system, that all providers have to use, to order  Openreach  products.

Ofcom mandated that they all have EOI ( equivalence of input ) its exactly the same ordering system , so if BT can do it , and the company you want cannot, it's not BT you should be complaining about , but the lack of professionalism of the company you want to use.

0 Ratings