cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
preston55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

No engineer sent for Infinity-2 install. Does new faceplate matter?

Infinity 2 was activated for us today and an engineer was supposed to have arrived in the morning to change the master socket faceplate, but no engineer came. BT said that the order was booked as a self install, that we needed to place a new order and that the service wouldn't be working, but using a microfilter it turns out that it does work so it seems a bad idea to order again. A BT help page says that engineers change the faceplate for Infinity 2 and that doing so gets the best speeds, but someone at BT said that whether they come out or not depends on what they find when they test the line. So I'm confused and feel we may not be getting the best possible service as a result. Do engineers normally come out to change the plate for infinity 2, and does it make a difference over the bundled microfilters? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: No engineer sent for Infinity-2 install. Does new faceplate matter?

Yes and yes. Contact BT and ask them to send an engineer to be sent out to do the job properly. You should not need to order it again.

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

th eproblem with posting on 2 different boards

mods have alreday offered assistance to other post on bill board

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
preston55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the replies; not intending to double post but this was connection rather than sales related so thought it was the more relevant place. Debug info here:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ43931414
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 06:24:14
6. Data rate:19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate:34220 / 94467
8. Noise margin:15.2 / 9.9
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 10.9
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 11.2
11. Data sent/received:417.9 MB / 2.6 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:

No

Datarate seems to be the theoretical max. Is the rate determined empirically by the modem during line negotiation or simply what the connection is set at with the exchange?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Your stats are excellent and you would appear to be getting the max for Infinity 2. Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

There was recently a trial for self-install of Infinity 2 but only if your estimate was 80/20.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
preston55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Results are mixed but seem good.

At 8pm the BT test was around 73Mb down. A couple of hours later it was below 60Mb and trying speedtest.net just after that showed 72Mb, though 10 minutes later the same speedtest server was also around 60Mb. As we've seen the connection almost at the profile max, do you suspect that changing the plate would be unlikely to make any improvement, or could the drops be due to increased noise that the plate could reduce, giving more consistency? Would be nice if the router could record and graph time series stats of SNR like Vigors and some others can but I didn't see such a feature.

bt-infinity-results.png

bt-infinity-results2.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Your speeds will fluctuate during the training period while the line establishes the best stable connection.

As the filter seems to be working I don't think you would see much improvement with a filtered face plate but personally I would want it changed just to tidy everything up if nothing else. I doubt BT will do that if they have deemed your install a "self install" but you could always change it yourself. 

0 Ratings