cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

No free ports in local exchange. What to do next?

Good afternoon, I signed up for BT two weeks ago and our go live date was the 28th of June. BT Engineer came out installed a new master socket and all our equipment then said there was a problem at the box out in the street and someone would be out that night or Saturday to fix it. Fast forward to Monday and we still heard nothing so after chasing it up we were told someone would be in touch by the 2nd. Still nothing, Phoned up again and got told an openreach engineer would be out on Wednesday. 

Came home from work yesterday and just caught the engineer, He checked the lines in the house and everything was fine apart from no internet coming through. He went off to the box and said I should see the light on my BT Hub go blue within 40 minutes. 

2 Hours later still nothing, So I leave for work and just as I leave he comes round the corner and tells me hes really sorry but all the 150 ports are full. Can't remember exactly what he said, It was either there is another board installed with 150 ports but it hasn't gone live or there was an order for a new board to be installed in the box. But he doesn't know when it will be fixed. It could be tomorrow, it could be a month. 

Unsure what to do now as we really need internet, Been in the new flat for nearly a month and still no closer to getting internet services. I asked the openreach engineer if we switched to phone line internet would it be on faster but was told I would need to speak directly to BT and that knowing my luck the new ports would go live sooner rather than later and I would be locked into a slower phone line connection rather than fibre optic.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: No free ports in local exchange. What to do next?

sounds like your cabinet is full and there is a waiting list  this applies to all ISPs apart from Virgin

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Unfortunately there is nobody on the forum that can tell you how long it will be before capacity at the cabinet (not the exchange btw) is increased. You could try talking to BT to see what the options are with regard to having an ADSL service and then upgrading to Superfast once capacity is increased. Seems odd your order was taken if there was no capacity in the cabinet though. Can you enter your address in the checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the result.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the replies, Here's the information you asked for.

BTLInecheck.pngScreenshot from 2019-07-04 14-44-57.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

That would imply there are ports available. The only thing I can think is that the port you were connected to was faulty and there are no other ports until the cabinet is upgraded. You need to go back to BT for further information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Okay, Thanks very much for your help 🙂 

0 Ratings