Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rotarua674
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

No promised BT callback

I reported  a few times to BT a problem with our FTTC broadband where the router remains blue but there’s  0Mbps download  on an Ethernet connected computer.  It happens every few days and sometimes more than once daily .  After 15-30 minutes it returns with no intervention .

The wait time on BT Tech Support often means the broadband has returned so they say there is no problem.  Also the BT Wholesale sometimes manages to show 0Mbps / 5-6 Mbps upload but the “further diagnostics” which flag a problem up to BT always fails ...because there’s no broadband... so nothing gets registered with BT as a problem.  On one occasion a BT technician did see a problem as the outage happened.

After 5 of these outages in a few days I contacted BT Tech Support on 8.8.18 - of course the outage had ended by the time I got through.  The agent said several times that they would look into it and I would get a phone call “tomorrow”, 9.8.18.

No phone call yesterday.  It’s difficult to know how to solve these interruptions having gone through BT’s processes but BT don’t do what they say calling back even with a holding message.

I know a lot of focus goes on broadband speed but I think reliability also needs to be looked at given the move to online services and devices.   BT sell “connected home” devices on the website but the broadband reliability just isn’t there.  I don’t expect a 100% reliable service - that would be unreasonable.  However, I don’t expect the outages to occur on a regular basis either.   For example, can you trust a front door lock when the broadband connection it needs goes on and off?  How useful is a security camera when it repeatedly reports there is no broadband connection during these “blue light on the HH5” outages?  And forget streaming audio or TV with this unreliability.

There’s no time pattern to suggest REIN and the fact that the Ethernet computer gets an upload speed of around 6Mbps but 0Mbps download suggests a network problem.

It’s  a pity that BT called wait times prevent BT from seeing live outages.  The BT Wholesale diagnostics on the speed page aren’t fit for purpose either if it relies on a broadband connection (which is absent) to determine if there is a connection fault!

Anyone else have this problem?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: No promised BT callback

do you still use the hh5 as you posted the same problem a few months ago?  did you do a factory reset as suggested then?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for response. Yes still HH5 and factory reset done at BT support request.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I would phone customer services and request strongly that you get a replacement hub (assuming you are still in fixed term contract) as you have tried factory reset and problem still exists

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks.  I’ll try that as I’m still in contract.

0 Ratings