cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

No space in cabinet

I'm moving house to an area where most people are on FTCCTP connections. I was absolutely dismayed to hear that there is no space in the cabinet for me to have a fibre connection. 

I'm a software developer and I have a 12 year old. I've taken out a mobile broadband contract, but listening to what people say about phone coverage I think I'll be lucky to get 10mbps from that, and on top I plan to get an ADSL connection which can be for work only.  This will mean £70/month for at most 30mbps connection. 

I want to get this sorted out. It's a village just 6 miles from Cambridge. It really isn't ok in 2020!! 

What can I do? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: No space in cabinet

I’m curious to know which ADSL Provider is going to supply you with 30mbps. Or are you adding the Mobile Broadband and ADSL Broadband Speeds together?

Ref to FTTC, or as you call it FTCCTP you’ll have to keep checking for a port to become free or for Openreach to increase availability.

Also in all due respect if high speed broadband was so important why didn’t you move to somewhere with FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The maximum speed of ADSL is 24mbps and that's under perfect conditions and there's no way it should cost £70 from anyone

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If it’s ‘space’ in a cabinet, then presumably it’s FTTC , obviously as a commercial business,  demand is predicted and sufficient capacity for that prediction is provided, you don’t over provide expensive equipment that may sit unused forever, this is a BT Consumer forum, they have no more say over Openreach’s provision of FTTC than any other service provider, if this extra demand is such that OR think it’s worthwhile, plans may already be in place to add new capacity .
If the cab in question is showing waiting list your choices are , keep checking, an existing FTTC customer ( of any provider not just BT ) may cease their service , thus creating a spare port , but you may not be the only person waiting , or hope that OR do have plans for expansion ( could just be providing more cards , or could be a completely new cabinet )
As far as 2020, the government has issued the universal obligations BT has to meet as far as broadband and that’s 10Mb download, something you will achieve anyway.
There are other network providers , if you cannot get what you want from a provider using OpenReach, try one of those , if they don’t serve your area, ask why not.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi @MamaPotter ,

Which village are you in ?

Contact https://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/ to see if they can help you.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

That's 17mbps from ADSL at around £20/month, combined with 13mbps from mobile broadband at £50/month 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Why not get two ADSL Lines instead then until FTTC Becomes available?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

£50 a month for mobile broadband? You are being robbed. I can get an unlimited sim for £20 a month.

0 Ratings