Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mlogo
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

No wireless network capability with BT Infinity

Hi,

I was persuaded by a caller from BT to upgrade my existing BT broadband provided through BT Home Hub 2 to BT Infinity. The installation was carried out last Friday afternoon and everything seemed OK after the engineer had left. However, a couple of hours later my wireless access had slowed to a speed lower than the old dial-up service I had years ago. By Saturday, my wireless printer had stopped responding altogether and it was impossible to connect to the internet through the wireless network. The only way to get on-line was via an ethernet cable connection. 

I called the helpline on Sunday and some line checks were carried out and then I was taken through a procedure to change the channel and another setting on the BT Home Hub 3. However, this made no difference. I was then told this was not an uncommon problem with a large number of customers being unable to establish a wireless connection. Apparently, a high level meeting has taken place to find a resolution. The person I was speaking to said I should be receiving a superior service to that from my BT Home Hub 2 and he would ask for some software patches to be installed on my router and would call me back the next day to tell me what was happening. The call never came so on Monday evening I 'phoned the helpdesk for information. The lady I was connected to told me my problem was most likely due to the walls in my house being too thick! I pointed out that I had no problem when my broadband was provided through my BT Home Hub 2, being able to connect to my wireless network from the bottom of my garden. I told her what I was told by the previous help desk agent and after checking she agreed that what I had been told was correct and that she would request this person to call me today as soon as he came on shift. Needless to say, I have not received any 'phone call. I am still unable to establish a wireless connection, even when my laptop is situated next to the BT Home Hub 3 router.

The lack of a wireless connection is causing my family severe problems. Only being able to reach the internet through a cable connected to the router is very restricting and I am unable to use my printer. My wife's iPad2 is useless and we are all very despondent as no-one at BT seems to care.

Does anyone have experience of this problem or any suggestions or know of any links/'phone numbers to someone within BT who is able to rectify this situation, please? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: No wireless network capability with BT Infinity

Hi it sounds like wireless interference the best thing is to download a programme called insidder this will show you the clear channels in your area and those with low level signals on. Giving you a picture of free channels select a free channel you should the resolve your problem the problem of wireless interference is getting greater as more wireless router come into use
0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@Mlogo wrote:

......The lack of a wireless connection is causing my family severe problems. Only being able to reach the internet through a cable connected to the router is very restricting and I am unable to use my printer. My wife's iPad2 is useless and we are all very despondent as no-one at BT seems to care......

Hi and welcome,

As John suggests it sounds like wireless interference.

Are you using wireless n ? That's the best for connectivity and speed?

Some help here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11381/kw/wireless%20n/c/346,502,504

And a quote.- “People calling in with problems attributed to Wi-Fi is a significant part of our call base,” said Adrian Pote, general manager of broadband devices at BT"

Mind you it's pretty bad if you can't get a good wireless connection parking your laptop next to the HomeHub3!!!

It might be worth mentioning that to BT in case you have a duff one.

Others have decided to give up with the HomeHub3 and go for a different manufacturer.

As in this recent solution http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Wireless-N-USB-adaptor-only-connecting-at-54-Mbps-WHY/td-p/27...

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Mlogo
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thank you so much, John and Expert, for your replies, which have been extremely helpful.

I have tried all the channels on my HH3 but this has not resolved my problem, which arose soon after the new hub was installed. 

I am typing this note with my laptop connected via the ethernet cable. Although it is next to HH3 a wireless connection is impossible. I am convinced that I have a duff HH3 and have ordered the Netgear router mentioned in one of the links you sent me, Expert.

I am hoping this solves the problem. I have had a wireless network at home for many years and had overlooked, until now, just how much my family and I rely on the flexibility it gives us! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mlogo
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I am very pleased to say my Netgear router arrived today and, after replacing my HH3 with it, I now have a wireless network at home again which is working super fast!

My thanks to ady199 for posting the solution and to PC for pointing me in the right direction.

Based on my experience I would certainly recommend anyone who is having problems with their HH3 to get hold of a Netgear WNDR3700 instead.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

It'sreally good that you let us know  Smiley Happy

Also worth marking up as solved. It may help others looking for a solution for a similar problem... and there seems to be quite a few people of late.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
SJH
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I changed from Orange 8Mb & Livebox G router to BT infinity & HH3 N Router 1 month ago. Since the first day, speed was measured as better but I could see no real difference. H,owever I can no longer get signal 10m away in bedroom even though older Orange livebox managed quite well. After many calls to BT including complaints and advice from engineer to buy TP Link WA901 ND extender it cannot connect. Today, yet another BT engineer says that HH3 cannot support static IP necessary to connect WA901.

Does anyone else understand why this so called 'BETTER' package 'Infinity with HH3' is not providing even as good a service as the, old 'G Type router'?

Can anyone help? I certainly appears that BT can't. ( One Very Disappointed Customer !!)

0 Ratings
Sageman
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I had similar problems with the HH3 and bought myself a Netgear WNDR3700 and I have not had any WiFi problems since.
0 Ratings