cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curtisb99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Noise Margin Help

Why does my noise margin and line attenuation seem so high?

d168fd7e8e91f3a765945868d65938df

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Noise Margin Help

Your line attenuation isn't high and won't vary as it is a measure of your distance from the cabinet. Noise margin is high as you are on an Infinity 1 product capped at 10/55 and have plenty of headroom for higher speeds.

0 Ratings
curtisb99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

How come I have been seeing peoples noise margin around 6? surely that affects things?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Your broadband speed is targeted to be the highest achievable with a 6dB margin. However, as your speed is already artificially capped at 10/55 due to being on an Infinity 1 product, the speed can go no higher thus your noise margin is higher. If you were on an Infinity 2 product (20/80) then your speed would increase to approx 61M and your noise margin reduce commensurately. 

0 Ratings
curtisb99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

If I switched to Infinity 2 what would the noise margin effect?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Why are you concerned about noise margin? Presumably you are concerned about speed, if so moving to Infinity2 would give you a slight increase to about 61M and give you a noise margin of 6dB  which you would probably not notice in the real world.

0 Ratings
curtisb99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

I am trying concerned because when playing video games it doesn't feel right online and looking for anything that could be causing issues.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

@curtisb99wrote:
I am trying concerned because when playing video games it doesn't feel right online and looking for anything that could be causing issues.

Your connection is fine just use it as normal 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Whatever your problem is, it isn't 'noise margin'. Your connections stats look perfect.

0 Ratings
ithomasseven
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

@curtisb99wrote:

what doesn't feel right? Are you seeing obvious lag?

0 Ratings