cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Noise Margin & IP Profile Reset? Slow download, hanging sites/apps, high latency, 3 visits to date..

Go to solution

Hi all

I've scoured these pages and seeing similar posts resolved remotely I'm hoping a moderator can help me here..

Following new BT installation two months ago I have had three engineer visits (new street cab fibre port, new 5C master socket, verified all internal and property to street cab cabling OK), a replacement Home Hub 6 and a third party router but I am still experiencing severely hanging sites (eg freeze on login to bank or Paypal, unable to get past reCAPCHA security or Google terms and conditions, unable to stream Spotify etc), slow download (paying for 55Mbps but getting around 8Mbps download and 9Mbps upload on Speedtest.net with my closest server) and latency over 30ms.

All the while the log is showing a steady data rate of 9.995 / 54.995 Mbps- however the noise margin is at 13.3 / 9.5, which on a sub-400m run to the street cab in a 16 year old estate with underground cable seems excessive. I believe the target on such a line would be 3 / 3. Line attenuation is showing as 13.0 / 13.5 and signal atteuation 12.9 / 13.5, and these figures are steady throughout the day and night from what I have seen.

I have a fault open currently, VOL013-*********. This was raised when Support performed the BT Wholesale speed test and diagnostics with my laptop in Safe Mode with networking connected directly to the Smart Hub via Ethernet. The ticket was passed to a team to monitor for 48hrs, then it sems they raised a fault with BTW. I was also informed my noise margin would be reset and a further 48hrs montioring. BTW say they cleared a fault two days ago and now I have a call back at the end of this second 48hr monitoring period to be informed that an engineer needs to make a fourth visit to my home. They did however perorm a "line refresh" which has resulted in the noise margin falling slightly to 13.3 / 9.4 and with speed tests occasionally I am hitting 11Mbps download, however the hanging/latency issues persist.

I believe that with all of the diagnostics and visits to date, along with the broadband symptoms I'm experiencing and a clear quiet line test this is looking more like a parameter or profile issue rather than cabling, hardware or interference.

Can I request of a moderator the noise margin, and if possible, my IP profile is reset please?

Many thanks in advance

Gareth

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Noise Margin & IP Profile Reset? Slow download, hanging sites/apps, high latency, 3 visits t

Go to solution

Moderators can not reset DLM/IP profiles on VDSL (Infinity) connections. This can only be done by Openreach after they have cleared/fixed a fault. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

Re: Noise Margin & IP Profile Reset? Slow download, hanging sites/apps, high latency, 3 visits t

Go to solution

You are on Infinity 1 running at maximum speed and thus have headroom for faster speed hence your noise margin reflects that.

Are you performing the speedtest with a wired or wireless connection? Can you post the results of the speedtest including the further diagnostics section.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution
Hi gg30340 thanks for the response and info. From the other post I saw it was a mod that helped out so I'm resorting to this as a last-ditch effort. Funny thing is I'm informed that the fault and/or faults have been cleared, but it's clear as mud as every conversation seems to contradict the previous one..
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Post the btspeedtester diagnostic results as requested by @licquorice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

Hi Liquorice, also thanks for the quick response. Wired connection for the diagnostics. Also worth noting there is no difference in "end user experience" if you like across any of the phones, laptops, tablets, desktop etc which are a mix of wired and wireless. I'll do the BTW diags again and post shortly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Initial BTW speed test with the btbroadband username:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 6.53 Mbps

0 Mbps53.23 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.53 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 27.5 Mbps-53.23 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 53.23 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 8.4 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.4Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

Looks like congestion. Which exchange are you on

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution
With speedtest_domain username, had to attempt several times as it kep timing out while "sending results to the server":

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
28.1 Mbps

0 Mbps 53.23 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 28.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 27.5 Mbps-53.23 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 53.23 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
5.05 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.05Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution
OK, though it doesn't seem to matter which time iof day, would have thought evening worst but still bad at 4:30am when I get up for work.. It took me so many attempts to just post the secons set of tests you replied in the meantime, then I had to go for the plain text quick reply option!
0 Ratings