cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 46

Noise margin change and speed loss

Go to solution

Hi,

Ive recently noticed ive lost speed and my noise margin no longer seems to aim for 3.5 it aims for 4.5 instead?

Heres a screenshot of my routers stats:

routerstats.jpg

0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
Message 2 of 46

Re: Noise margin change and speed loss

Go to solution

what caused the reset just over a day ago? probably when noise margin increased and speed reduced slightly

from your stats you have G.INP active hence why your speed is actually higher than attainable

have you any noise on line  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 46

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure why the router rebooted itself the other day, I find that happens every couple of weeks anyways. What im confused about is my noise margin used to be like 3.4 and I used to be connected at like 71000. Just wondering why the sudden change. Theres no noise on the silent line test either.

Does it look to you like it's trying to aim for a 4.5 noise margin?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 46

Go to solution

There are only 2 target noise margins. 6.0dB without G.INP and 3.0dB with G.INP.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 46

Go to solution

If no noise on quiet line test then as long as you can now maintain a stable connection then your speed should return automatically 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 46

Go to solution

So best thing to do is just leave it a couple weeks and the speed should go back to normal when the DLM see's that I can hold a stable connection? Could the router be faulty in anyway?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 46

Go to solution

I drop in connection doesn't make hub faulty. Just watch and hope that it is now stable

Message 8 of 46

Go to solution

Your stats show a firmware upgrade on the 20th June. Would that not account for the reboot?

I've noticed (Hub 6) that firmware updates can also suddenly alter the figures for certain items, in my case line attenuation and signal. Nothing changed on the line, only the Hub firmware and so presumably  the way the figures are interpreted  and displayed.

For the Hub 6 I usually see a 6.3/6.3 or thereabouts noise margin, however the Hub 6 does weekly reboots following the latest firmware (well mine does) and I caught it the other day displaying an altering noise margin. I think it was 4.1/6.3 and then it went to 4.7/6.3 following which it rebooted (on cue, the 7 days was up) and the margin reset back to around 6.3/6.3

There seems a lot of ambiguity over all this and some of the Hub stats are just plain wrong such as data amounts. I think I would know if I uploaded 15Gb after a reboot but something of that order was showing.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 46

Go to solution

Hi,

I posted the original problem I was having on this thread a few months ago and thought the problem with my speed would sort itself out however it has now taken a turn for the worst as you will see below with my stats:

BT.jpg

It now seems to have locked itself aiming for a 7.5 noise margin. No matter how many times I reboot the router it wont go above 54.999.

It use to aim for a 3.5 noise margin is there something wrong with my line?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 46

Go to solution

this thread you started about 18 months ago!

if you are rebooting the hub to try and improve your speed and lower noise margin then you are actually achieving the very opposite  to get any improvement you need a stable connection but looking at your stats your attainable in only 59mb now compared to 67mb 18 months ago

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

0 Ratings