Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Noise margin creeping down

Hi all,

I recently had a lift and shift applied to my line by an engineer and got an extra 10Mbps to take me from 53Mbps to 63Mbps on my download. For some reason last night my noise margin figures have gone down to the following despite it being connected since the engineers visit and being stable above 6db. The last time I was with BT this happened, the engineer got my speed to 73Mbps that time, but then each 14 days it reduced by 2Mbps. I thought maybe weather related but it was fine throughout the snow period. I have a feeling it is going to drop each 14 days on the router reboot and take me back down to the infinity 1 type speeds.

Is this line error related or just more noise at the green box?

Maximum was 24/70 on the reconnect and it seems to come in a 2Mbps under the max hence the reason I think it will drop tonight  

937E61D3-0448-4E55-9DAE-84D656826B3E.png

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Noise margin creeping down

I'd be concerned if my noise margin was creeping UP, not down.

The normal target is 6dB but on a good line the downstream margin can be lowered to 3dB , in fact mine is sitting at 2.6dB right now. With a target of 3dB your downstream speed will increase by a few mbps, which is never a bad thing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 3 of 11

At present there is nothing wrong with your power levels and they could well drop further if G.Inp is enabled on your line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the replies, however I don't really understand to be honest. I thought if your noise margin increased your line was in a better state?

When my noise margin was at 6.1 downstream the max attainable was 70Mbps, now it's at 5.8 the max has reduced to 68Mbps. When the router reboots tonight I will most likely sync at 66 losing 2Mbps?

My Cabinet is ECI so fingers crossed it will be updated soon.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

your max attainable will fluctuate as the noise margin fluctuates - mine does - but never by much

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I'm on an ECI cabinet as well and for the first time yesterday my noise margin went below 6db to 5.7, 5.6, currently at 5.5 when I last looked. Is something occuring with the target 3db for ECI cabs and, let's hope, G.INP too.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Unfortunately it does indeed seem to be following the same pattern, I have lost 2Mbps of the 10 I got back from the lift and shift.

I have an original Openreach modem, would I be better using that to avoid the 14 day reset, would the original modem suppport G.inp?

9A4C7561-553D-4727-9828-F7F8C61F8D77.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Am I correct in thinking that my original Openreach ECI modem will not be compatible with G.inp when it rolls out on ECI cabinets. I have a tri band tp-link router that gives me better home coverage but it seems that G.inp will begin to roll out again soon on ECI cabinets and I’m assuming the old modem isn’t compatible. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 11

It should be OK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

I don’t want to miss out on G.inp but I would also like to use my own router.
0 Ratings