cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Noise margin

Hi everyone, this is my 1st post so here goes.

I have a smart hub 2 with a maximum data rate of 29mb. The noise margin starts of around 6.1 but when the dlm reduces the noise margin,  which i thought was supposed to increase your speed, it starts reducing my maximum data rate, until its eventually goes lower than my data rate. The dlm then resets the hub  but at a slower speed. Is this whats supposed to happen? I then turn off the hub for an hour and when i turn it back on the maximum data rate, and the data rate have increased, but the same thing keeps happening.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Noise margin

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Screenshot_20210310-191820_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210310-191548_Samsung Internet.jpg

 i have done a quiet line test but only with a cordless phone. I cannot hear anything.  The hub stats above were after i turned it off for an hour. After the dlm reset it the max data rate was 16mb and the data rata was 14mb. I have managed to get a data rate of 25mb as seen in the hubs stats below and would like to stay at that speed if possible.

Screenshot_20200915-222048_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

currently your connection speed is within the expected speed range.  Have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your conenction speed and line stability 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Screenshot_20210311-190014_Samsung Internet.jpg

 I have just connected to the test socket, the hub stats are above. I will watch over the next week or so to see what happens when the noise margin reduces. I know i'm in the speed range, but i am getting frustated when the dlm reduces the noise margin, which in turn seems to be reducing my maximum data rate to below my data rate, then the hub keeps getting reset.

0 Ratings