cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjohnphillip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Noisy line and reduced infinity speed

I'm adding this message to provide a thread url for the mods. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

I've been on Infinity 80/20 for about 3 months and on order was given an up/down estimate of 63.5/20Mb. On activiation the initial IP profile was 58/20 and the engineer advised that I was approx 250m from the cabinet.

Recently I have been experiencing intermittent crackling on the phone line and occassional Infinity disconnects. After 2 engineer visits, no fault has been found in either my or the BT equipment. I have explained that the issues are at their worst when it's wet and windy, yet unfortunately the visits have been when it has been dry and sunny. The drop cable from the telegraph pole to my property also runs directly through the middle of a tree (not on my property) and it is clearly visible where branches are pulling at the cable. I have also had previous faults due to this. On this occasion, the operator who recorded the reopening of the fault could hear the noise on the line (when plugged in to the test socket) and so I haven't been charged for the engineer visits.

I suspect the noisy line and disconnects are responsible for my IP profile dropping to 31.36/20Mb but the engineers will not investigate further as they have yet to find a fault whilst at my premises.

Whilst writing this message I've just used the phone and can hear the crackling again. I've also just received a follow-up call from BT to check everything was working ok and the operator can also hear the crackling so will be reopening the fault once the engineer has closed it.

If I still have no joy after the fault is reopened I will pass this on to the mods. In the meantime, I'd be interested in:

Has anyone got experience of BT rerouting a phone line to avoid a tree? There is a mixture of telegraph poles and ground-level connections on my road.

If the line is finally fixed, how long does it take for the IP profile to revert back to its original state?

Is a profile of 58/20Mb roughly what would be expected when 250m from the cabinet?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 6

Re: Noisy line and reduced infinity speed

Hi kjohnphillip,

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't already please do send us your details and we'll look into it, you can get our contact form by clicking on my username (Under "About me").

Stephanie
0 Ratings
kjohnphillip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi Stephanie,

thanks for the welcome. Just confirming that details were sent through on Fri 26th.

Regards,

Kevin

0 Ratings
kjohnphillip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Another line engineer visited today (even though promised it would be a SFI engineer on this occasion) and once again unable to hear the intermittent noise on the line so can't do any more investigation. I performed quiet line test this morning before enginner visit to check intermittent crackling still present. It was still audible so was hopeful that it would still be present by the time engineer arrived. Unfortunately not!

Hoping that the mods will be able to help progress this as the fault has been closed again because the line engineer says he doesn't have authority to request a SFI enginner (even though he thinks that is what is required).

And the IP profile for the line as reported at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ is now 29/20Mbps - down from the original 58/20.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

I had this problem for about 5 years! An intermittent noise on the line that BT said didnt exist but kept causing my then adsl connection to frequently drop.

Despite following all the advice to change filters, change modem \ router, disconnect no existant wiring extension, change telephone handset and plug direct to the test socket, nothing cured it.

Eventually I switched to Infinity and guess what? I got dropped Inf 2 connection due to noise on the line. Fortunately, when a test was done, a fault was found so an engineer came and checked everything.

He said he found a fault in the cabinet and changed something but a week later we had a drop again. Second engineer came out and after a lot of time he made further changes in the cabinet which, fingers crossed, seem to have fixed things.

I think you need to insist on an SFI engineer but be prepared to pay the fee as BT will try and blame your equipment or say there's no fault.

0 Ratings
kjohnphillip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

curiousfellow - thanks for the response.  I'll keep pushing for an SFI engineer and hope they find something. The mods are also now on the case, so I'm a little more hopeful that this will progress beyond a line engineer visit and basic test.

0 Ratings