Did you mean: 
BeardyDave
Contributor
Message 11 of 50

Re: Noisy line and terrible upload speed

Ok, here's my current stats:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: 
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 04/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:42:27
6. Data rate:5510 / 41965
7. Maximum data rate:5781 / 48502
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation:29.5 / 22.6
10. Signal attenuation:28.8 / 20.9
11. Data sent/received:12.3 MB / 109.9 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

And here's my speed test from 17:00 today:

BT diag after repair 4th Nov 17.00.png

I forgot to mention before that since I first noticed the line noise earlier in the week my BT speedtest ping latency has been around 45ms. Before that I was consistantly getting 16ms. Despite the fault now seeming to be fixed I'm still getting 45ms latency. Does that mean I've been droped to the impacted range B profile?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 50

Your attainable has increased since previous stats and noise margin normal at 6db   Your connection speed is at 41mb and your profile is correct for your connection speed. Up speed now looks a lot better

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
BeardyDave
Contributor
Message 13 of 50

I ran another speed test this morning and my attainable download speed has incresed a bit to 41Mbps but I'm actually only getting around 38 to 39Mbps still. So something is a bit stuck at the moment but hopefully it will increase soon.

My ping latency is still around 30 to 40ms which I find quite ironic when BT are currently marketing the notion that their network has lower latency than their competitors and is therefore the best for online gaming. I'm not really sure how much impact the latency I'm getting will actually have on anything. It just seems odd that it's more than doubled during the same period that I've had connections issues.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 50

according to your stats your connection speed not download speed is 41mb so profile is correct and actual download speed are good for that connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BeardyDave
Contributor
Message 15 of 50

That's all well and good but I used to consistently get between 45 and 47Mbps download before all of my problems with faulty wiring outside my property. Both times these faults have occurred my profile has automatically dropped down and then not returned to where it was before the fault. So I'm being robbed of potential bandwidth by systems that don't work properly. It actually seems to me like the system is designed to prevent customers from getting the bandwidth their lines can support to take the pressure off the inadequately provisioned network.

I say this because as soon as there is the slightest degredation in line quality the line speed is imediately reduced. The speed then never seems to recover fully as the line quality returns, BT don't routinely reset the profile to force this process and they make requesting a reset difficult and time consuming. So there must be thousands of customers out there who have had there line speed permanently lowered due to line faults that have since been rectified, resulting in thousands of people like myself that are no longer getting what they're paying for. In my oppinion this is completely unacceptable and highly dubious.

I'm paying for Infinity 2 and my line can support this. So I should be getting what I'm paying for.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 50

the line checker shows that you could get up 55Mb not that you will get it your line looks far more like it is able to the connection speed in the region of 40Mb you should downgrade your package to infinity 1 you are wasting money paying for what you cannot achieve
0 Ratings
BeardyDave
Contributor
Message 17 of 50

As I've said, I was consistantly getting over 45Mbps for several months at much lower latency before the cable outside my house broke. So if I was able to maintain that speed over a cable that was obviously degrading at the time, I should easily be able to get over 45Mbps now that I have a new cable. The only reason I'm not getting that speed now is that the auto speed detection software in the cabinet or exchange is clearly biased towards reducing speed rather than increasing it. Also the only reason I'm in this situation in the first place is because the cabling infrastructure in the UK is so outdated. All of the crappy old aluminium cables should have been replaced over a decade ago. It's simply not good enough that customers are facing these issues because of a lack of infrastructure investment by BT or whoever owns the cables now.

I'll continue to monitor the situation over the weekend and if my speed doesn't increase I'll try to request a profile reset. If that doesn't work I won't be downgrading to Infinity 1 I'll be moving to a new supplier.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 50

as your profile is based on your connection speed a profile reset wont help - you need to get a line reset but you need an engineer visit for that and you won't get an engineer visit just for that you would need to report a broadband fault  only a broadband engineer can requets the reset not a phone engineer

however at present you are within estimate so you may find reluctance on CS to send engineer

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 50

Moving provider will have no effect on your speed as all ISP's use the same Openreach copper/fibre infrastructure unless you can move to cable you have to remember all speeds quoted are estimates and can and do vary
as imjolly has already posted as your speeds are within estimate you are very unlikely to get a engineer visit and unlike adsl BT cannot carry out any resets on infinity its is only Openreach who can do that
0 Ratings
BeardyDave
Contributor
Message 20 of 50

It's not so much that I think another provider will give me more speed I'm just getting sick of dealing with BT for technical problems. I work in IT support and I've lost track of how many times I've had to deal with their poor service and support. I can really do without it in my personal life. The only reason I went with BT for this connection is that there was a unusual phone line situation at my house when I bought it and only BT could fix it. So it was simpler to use them for everything to get me up and running. I'm now free to change suplier.

Anyway, I've spoken to BT today and apparently even though the fault was listed as being fixed yesterday, they were still working on it today. So They're going to call me tomorrow evening to see if my speed has improved by then. If not they'll see what they can do. So that's fair enough for now. Perhaps their tech support is improving. I'm willing to give them a fair chance at proving me wrong.