cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Nokia FTTP ONT with 3rd party router

Got upgraded to FTTP last week and now have one of the Nokia Openreach ONT's bring the fibre line into the property. Due to the severe limitations of the Smarthub 2 I'm looking to use my own choice of gear. 

Does anyone know if you can connect a router directly to the ONT and just use PPPOE log in to access the internet or do you still have somehow have the Smarthub involved. 

Think if getting an Orbi mesh system in place. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Nokia FTTP ONT with 3rd party router

You should be able to connect your own router to ONT and set username as bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password anything but many just use BT

if you have digital voice that will only work with SH2 connected to ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for that. Deliberately cancelled the digital voice as I knew it was something that would lock me into the SH2. Just kept the copper line for the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

@imjolly 

Just for future reference as I suppose I'll be in this position sometime soon, does it have to be through the SH2 or would an ordinary phone work if plugged directly into the Tel socket on the ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

No TEL socket on the ONT.

Either Digital Voice via Smart Hub 2 or plug into copper fed landline socket.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Digital Voice only works via the SH2. The Tel socket on the ONT is for the now discontinued FVA, fibre voice access.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

@dazza76wrote:

Got upgraded to FTTP last week and now have one of the Nokia Openreach ONT's bring the fibre line into the property. Due to the severe limitations of the Smarthub 2 I'm looking to use my own choice of gear. 

Does anyone know if you can connect a router directly to the ONT and just use PPPOE log in to access the internet or do you still have somehow have the Smarthub involved. 

Think if getting an Orbi mesh system in place. 

I have used Orbi Mesh with my ONT- works with no problem.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 8 of 16

Thanks for that imjolly/liquorice.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but just one more question then, if I may. Would it be possible to connect my own router to the ONT via a switch and then plug the SH2 into the switch to provide DV?

If DV only works through the BT's hub this seems a bit of a marketing blunder on BT's part.  A lot of people are going to want to run their own kit these days so I can see that killing DV at birth.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

If and when you are switched to DV your copper landline will no longer work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@StuartHK wrote:

Thanks for that imjolly/liquorice.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but just one more question then, if I may. Would it be possible to connect my own router to the ONT via a switch and then plug the SH2 into the switch to provide DV?

If DV only works through the BT's hub this seems a bit of a marketing blunder on BT's part.  A lot of people are going to want to run their own kit these days so I can see that killing DV at birth.

No, you can't do that. You can only connect one router directly to the ONT.

Not everyone wants a landline voice service, most people use mobiles for voice calls. Digital Voice is just BT's VOIP service, there is nothing preventing you using a third party VOIP provider with your third party kit.