cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Kevels55
Message 1 of 22

Not Connected to nearby cabinet

I spoke to BT and requested a new fibre connection During our discussions the BT salesperson informed me I was approximately 2 1/2 miles from the old exchange cabinet number 2. There is a newish cabinet that is approximately 100 yards from my front door..... I offered to pay for a new line in order to be connected to the new cabinet which has been there about 18 months..... the salesperson said it would not be a problem once I joined BT to be connected to the new cabinet unfortunately this does not now ring true as after speaking to BT technical help and they are unable to connect me to the new cabinet and I must remain at the old exchange!!! I feel that I have been totally misinformed and I would not have joined BT from my old ISP if there was not going to be any BT Infinity at the end of it, I live in a rural area and see no point whatsoever in being connected to Invergordon exchange whilst there is a fairly empty cabinet right on my doorstep ( I was chatting to an engineer whilst the cabinet was open)and as stated I have no problem paying for a new line as long as I am connected to the new cabinet, but I am told this is not possible.....Why? Granted, my line speed has gone up around 3 x times to around 7mbps down and 2mbps up since I connected to BT on the 19th of March, prior to this it was 2.5 mbps down and 1/2 mbps up but my next door neighbor whom is connected to the new cabinet can get around 60mbps !!! My delema is do I just cancel my BT service as I have 14 days from the 19th as I feel I have been severely misled by BT ...... I can easily connect to the O2 on its 4g network as I have a 25gig monthly package and I would be getting a lot faster connection with O2 so I would not be without an internet, your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated. Kind regards Kev.
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Not Connected to nearby cabinet

@Kevels55 

See https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/help-support/when-can-i-get-fibre-faqs

"There's another cabinet near me that's already accepting orders. Can I get fibre broadband from there instead?"

"Unfortunately not. We can’t move a line that’s already connected to a home or business from one cabinet to another."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Unfortunately Openreach will not move you from one cabinet to another just to increase broadband speeds.

See link and the question "There is another cabinet near me already accepting orders ..."

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/help-support/when-can-i-get-fibre-faqs

If you get a good 4g signal it might be worth cancelling your broadband and phone line and using the money you save to increase your mobile data package but only you can decide if it is better to cancel or accept the slight increase inspeed that you have with BT. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Unfortunately moving a single line from one cabinet to another is physically impossible. The entire cable that contains your line would have to moved and the whole local underground network re-arranged to accomodate that.

0 Ratings
Kevels55
Message 5 of 22

Is it not possible to request an entirely new line and disconnect the old line? If I pay for it? Cheers KevπŸ‘
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

@Kevels55 wrote:
Is it not possible to request an entirely new line and disconnect the old line? If I pay for it? Cheers KevπŸ‘

No.

Even if you could afford to pay for the roads to be dug up, it would be cheaper to move house, to one connected to the nearest cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Kevels55
Message 7 of 22

Why not if I am paying? Cheers KevπŸ‘
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 22

@Kevels55wrote:

Even if it were possible it would cost you a fortune, unless you could do all the road digging or pole erection yourself, then it might only cost a few thousand pounds Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

@Kevels55 wrote:
Why not if I am paying? Cheers KevπŸ‘

Read what I wrote.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Use this form and ask Openreach if they will move you to another cabinet at your expense and what the cost would be.

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

If they ever get back to you with a cost please let the forum know.

0 Ratings