cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: Not Connected to nearby cabinet

As I said, why not just move house, if your broadband speed is that important?

0 Ratings
Kevels55
Message 12 of 22

I did move house thinking I would get more opertunity for a better connection to the internet as I am approximately half a mile from Alness and 2 1/2 miles from Invergordon but unfortunately for me when I bought the house) I am connected to Invergordon when I presumed wrongly I would be Alness.... once I saw the new cabinet going in I thought yes!!! Unfortunately again I wasn’t connected to that either...... I think we have crossed lines here, but I thank u all for ur input👍 What I am trying to say is it not possible to order a new line and new number and be connected to that new fttc and then disconnect the old line, it surely doesn’t cost thousands for a new line? Cheers Kev👍
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 13 of 22

Your current line to your house has 2 twisted pairs in it. If you ordered a second line they would just use the spare twisted pair. You would still be supplied by the same cabinet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

@Kevels55  You are totally missing the point, the new line would still be in the same cable as the old one going to the same destination, individual lines can't be moved.

The only hope you might have is that Openreach have plans to move everybody to the new cabinet, unlikely if it has been there 18 months as it would have been done by now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 22

@pippincp wrote:

Your current line to your house has 2 twisted pairs in it. If you ordered a second line they would just use the spare twisted pair. You would still be supplied by the same cabinet.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, that line would then connect to a multi pair cable which would need to be re-routed.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 16 of 22

@Kevels55wrote:
Why not if I am paying? Cheers Kev👍

If you are that determined and are willing to pay there is a solution.  Switch to a business line and go for FTTPoD, that will give you just what you desire. I will be interested to know what Openreach quote.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 17 of 22

@licquorice wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

That's just the tip of the iceberg, that line would then connect to a multi pair cable which would need to be re-routed.

No, as it would go to the cabinet it is currently connected to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

@pippincp wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to say here, the drop wire to the house is totally irrelevant, it would be a simple matter if that is all that needed to be replaced. It is a complete re-arrangement of the D side network that is the problem.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 22

If you are in rural area, the chances are you are served from an overhead DP (telegraph pole) , you state your next door neighbour gets much better speed because they are connected to a different cab to you, so they must also be connected to a different telegraph pole , because the way the network is constructed is the cable from your pole goes back to the cabinet you are served from, and if you are correct that they are served from a different cab, then the cable from the pole they are served from must go back to this other cabinet, so that begs the question, how close to you is your next door neighbour ?,

Its  not impossible that 2 poles reasonably close to each other are served from different cabinets, but cab boundarys tend not to divide near neighbour's, so why is it they are your next door neighbour but off a different pole/cabinet ?......some people in rural areas could conceivably consider a house that is 100's of metres away as the 'next door neighbour' if that is the closest property to them, if your next door neighbour is 100's of metres away , that may explain why it's a different cab, if your next door neighbour, for example, is the other half of a pair of semi detached houses, then something is odd.

Perhaps you could post the results for your address and you next door neighbour address from

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Use phone numbers to get the result  , but delete the numbers when posting

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 20 of 22

@licquorice wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to say here, the drop wire to the house is totally irrelevant, it would be a simple matter if that is all that needed to be replaced. It is a complete re-arrangement of the D side network that is the problem.

I'm saying it would be exactly the same cabinet supplying the connection as is supplying the connection now.

Ergo: Ordering another line will not mean a cabinet change.

0 Ratings