cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Not a great start

Go to solution

Had received my brand new, still sealed router yesterday, and had set it up tonight. Worked for all of about 30 seconds then bang it crashed. Now it doesnt work. Green ring of death.

SSID doesnt transmit.

Unable to access 192.168.1.254 via ethernet (cant even see it).

Solid green for over an hour.

Yes I've tried to reset it, more than once, the pin-button does nothing whatsoever as it goes.

Yes I've tried turning it off and on again.

I have been in the IT industry for over 15 years, and have installed hundreds of routers for people, including this very modal. Yes it was wired up correctly (hence working for 30 seconds).

Can you send out a replacement please and collect this paperweight?

I am currently using my commercial-grade router, but am acutely aware you wont be able to sync things properly on using my router. I have however set it to the BT settings, so it will somewhat mimic this router from your side. Due to the router going bang within minutes of moving over to BT, I will probably want a DLM reset once the replacement arrives.

I am putting this down to bad luck, but I am not very happy about it.

I dont know how involved BT are with the forums, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Not a great start

Go to solution

@ToMexD 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

You would be better to call 0800 800 150 and ask them to send a replacement.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@ToMexD wrote:

Had received my brand new, still sealed router yesterday, and had set it up tonight. Worked for all of about 30 seconds then bang it crashed. Now it doesnt work. Green ring of death.

SSID doesnt transmit.

Unable to access 192.168.1.254 via ethernet (cant even see it).

Solid green for over an hour.

Yes I've tried to reset it, more than once, the pin-button does nothing whatsoever as it goes.

Yes I've tried turning it off and on again.

I have been in the IT industry for over 15 years, and have installed hundreds of routers for people, including this very modal.

Which should have taught you that things occasionally go faulty

Can you send out a replacement please and collect this paperweight?

I am currently using my commercial-grade router, but am acutely aware you wont be able to sync things properly on using my router.

Really, what makes you think that?

I have however set it to the BT settings, so it will somewhat mimic this router from your side. Due to the router going bang within minutes of moving over to BT, I will probably want a DLM reset once the replacement arrives.

Why, a sudden single failure of a router won't affect DLM

I am putting this down to bad luck, but I am not very happy about it.

Faults happen

I dont know how involved BT are with the forums, but any advice would be appreciated.

Call customer services and get a replacement, not sure what other advice is needed.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I have over the years seen that sometimes people mistakenly think that a firmware update is an issue with the router and tries to restart it in the middle of the update and therefore bricking the router, this is especially true of new smarthubs as often they need updating straightaway.

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

In case you are not aware, a factory reset requires the reset pin to be held in for at least 20 seconds.

As per BT's help pages, if a factory reset does not resolve the problem you are to contact BT.

What do the lights on my BT Hub mean? | BT Help

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Checked2013 

Ok..

I didnt do anything for it to break, and i'm not sure a firmware update would make the router make an audible pop, then miraculously it doesn't work. I've been setting these up for years, please dont insult my intelligence. I know, 100%, I didnt do anything to cause this.

Once it was setup I left it until it went bang. Then guess what, nada. Even now, nothing.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@gg30340 

Thank you.

Yea I have tried a few times and have held it in for 20 seconds, and more. Quite a few times now, too.

I've left it over night and its still just a solid green.

Edit: Spoke to BT. Issue was electrical. Been sent a replacement and told to not plug this one back in.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Ok, an update.

Been told to unplug it immediately and have been sent another one. Apparently electrical faults are not unheard of, albeit rare occurances.

Thanks all.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Of course I know things go wrong, I was venting more than anything. In almost all ISP routers, there is a lot of back and forth and line tests done on the routers themselves during the first few weeks ontop of the exchange & router link.

Disconnections will absolutely affect the DLM, any disconnections during the first few weeks will. As I said, the router was on, I have no idea if it was intermittently connecting & disconnecting, just attempting too or not doing anything.

Yes faults happen. I am not obligated to be happy, more-so about an item I've paid for failing within minutes of me using it.

I have spoken to customer services and they have advised they beleive the fault is electrical (very rare but does happen, and my symptoms match an electrical problem). Been told to unplug it immediately and do not plug it back in. A new one has been sent out.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe  Did this and was sorted immediately. They beleive the fault was an electrical problem.

Have been advised to unplug it and do not plug it back in. A new one has been sent out.

thanks Keith.

0 Ratings