cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Not able to achieve published Superfast fibre 2 broadband average speeds.

Hello,
Sorry to join the list of people moaning about there broadband speeds, but i’m frustrated at getting nowhere with BT support over the last few weeks. I signed up to Superfast fibre 2 broadband in June 2018, and have never achieved anywhere near the published average speed of 67Mb download speed. I am currently experiencing 23 / 3.9Mb which is disappointing to say the least. I had also been experiencing stability issues with the BT homehub 6, with the connection continually dropping off. Having reached boiling point, I have recently replaced the HH6 with a ASUS DSL-AC68U which has been far more stable but without any improvement in speed. Is this likely to be a line issue or have I been mis sold a package that was never achievable? BT support are not at all interested without me reconnecting the HH6. I don’t recall reading anything that stipulated that I must use BT’s hub? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Not able to achieve published Superfast fibre 2 broadband average speeds.

Because of recent legislation ISPs must now give the average speed that all the customers on a package get and as such they now give the figure of 67Mbps.

Because it is an average it obviously means that some will get more and some will get less and is in effect totally meaningless for the customer's individual line.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you post the connection stats from your Asus.

The reason that Customer Services ask you to use your HH6 is for diagnostic reasons so that they know what device they are working with.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

you can use any compatible modem/router but BT will only provide support for the hub so it may be worth connecting hub until you get connection problem resolved 

the speed you quote is an average as you have said and that means some customers will get higher and some lower. Probably due to your distance from cabinet you are lower than the average. The average speed is basically meaningless fir your specific line but the figure must be quoted as set out by OFCOM

if you connect hub then post stats

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number.   https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for the reply. I have reconnected my HH6 as suggested to allow further support from BT, but without any  success. They have now logged a complaint for Openreach to look at and I await a reply.

Following a speedtest this evening, I am still only achieving 23/4Mb. I will attempt to download some data from the HH6 and post tomorrow.

IMG_2071 2.jpg

Thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

It is connection speed that is quoted on the dslchecker and any figures quoted by BT sohub stars are needed not download speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks again for the response, here are some stats captured from the HH6 this morning.Screenshot 2018-11-07 at 06.58.55.png

Screenshot 2018-11-07 at 07.01.41.png

IMG_2071 2.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Gents,
I see from the dsl data that my line has had a bridge tap applied. What is this & would it have a major impact on the speed of the services provided?

Thanks
Paul
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

It has not had it applied, it has been discovered that your line is impacted with a bridge tap. This can have a major effect on your speed. Your speed is way below the handback threshold. Ensure you are checking your hub stats when plugged into the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket to make sure it is not your internal wiring causing the bridge tap. If your speeds are still poor at the test socket you need an engineer visit to resolve your problem, be insistent with customer services.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thank you for your speedy replies, they have been helpful. I have been connected to the test socket for a while now, so will go back to BT Cust services as suggested.

Many Thanks
0 Ratings