cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charliemoores
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Not seeing any faster speed - how do I know if Infinity is active?

Hi. We live in Wiltshire at SN12 8NJ. We have been BT customers for six years on copper wire from (we think) an exchange in Holt about two miles away. Last month we paid to upgrade to Infinity as we were told it was now available from an upgrade in the village. HomeHub 5 duly arrived and we plugged in. It's working properly, but Download speeds are topping out at 19mbps and Upload at 1.14 (using - for the test - BT Speed checker, ethernet cable, Windows laptop, all other devices shut down, anti-virus switched off). That's only marginally faster than on 'regular' broadband and may well just be the router (we had HH3 before). I can't find any info that Infinity is actually working in my area and using IP address check, my line is working as expected. If I can't get Infinity, why am I paying extra for it? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Not seeing any faster speed - how do I know if Infinity is active?

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
TheOldWiseMan
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

How long ago did the HH5 arrive. They often ship the HH in advance of the actual exchange/cabinet work taking place. I'm just saying that you may be running the HH5 on your previous ADSL connection. Have you had a notification that the swap to infinity has taken place?

Sorry if this seems a bit noddy but your posting didn't have that much info in it.

Cheers

0 Ratings
charliemoores
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Hi TheOldWiseMan - Not at all 'noddy', thanks for the answer. We've had the hub a couple of weeks, and my original question was - How do I know whether Infinity is active, ie can I check whether the Infinity service has been 'switched on'? I was unaware that BT might send out the hub before the service is unavailable. We've not had a notification, no - just emails to say that the equipment was on its way (it arrived on time) and to plug it in immediately (which we did). I took that to mean that once we plugged in we'd be set.Is that not the case? I'm all for being prepped in advance, incidentally, but taking the higher payment if the Infinity service is still unavailable does not seem fair at all. So, my questions remains the same - is there a way of actually finding out whether Infinity has been activated? The speed suggests it hasn't (almost unchanged from HomeHub3 and standard ADSL), and if it's simply the fact that it's not been activated - well, we can wait. I'd just like to know who to ask/where to look so that I can find out. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

@charliemoores wrote:

So, my questions remains the same - is there a way of actually finding out whether Infinity has been activated? The speed suggests it hasn't (almost unchanged from HomeHub3 and standard ADSL), and if it's simply the fact that it's not been activated - well, we can wait. I'd just like to know who to ask/where to look so that I can find out. Thanks again.

Yes, if you post all the information John asked for earlier we will be able to assist.

0 Ratings
charliemoores
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Licquorice: Thanks for your help: so I take it there is no central register of 'on' or 'off' or a simple way of knowing whether the service is running?. My wife and I work from home and are on the internet 100% during the day (which is why we wanted the higher speeds) so I'll do as John asked this evening when things have quitened down (work-wise) and post them up. Thanks again everyone who has responded - good to know there are people aout there looking to help (I had no idea that there would be no simple answer, so it's much appreciated).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

The only way to see what is actually happening rather than what some database thinks is happening is to post the info. It will only take a couple of minutes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

If you want a quick and easy way to see for yourself if Infinity is active, just re-connect your HH3. If it still works you haven't been enabled for Infinity.

0 Ratings
charliemoores
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Hi. Can't plug it back in - we recycled HH3 router as per the BT suggestions 🙂

0 Ratings
charliemoores
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Hi again. That makes sense. We'll do that asap - thanks again.

0 Ratings