cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Number allocated for new order for Broadband with DV

Go to solution

I have placed an order for BT Broadband with DV which is due to be connected next week sometime. However the number that has been sent to me as the new number bears no resemblance to the number ranges in my exchange? (The line at the property has recently been ceased a few weeks ago and the number it used to have is being used elsewhere now so there’s no “active” line at present , which I know about, so I know the line would have a new reserved number attached to it ready for any future takeover of the line.
Anyway prior to making an order I plugged a phone into the socket and dialled 17070 and got the message “this circuit is defined as 01xxx 60xxxx” This is good as 60 is the main range for the exchange 😊 So I assumed this would be the number allocated to the line when a new service was ordered and the number was an ok number so I went ahead and ordered. When I got the email with the details it said my new number will be obviously the same STD code but start with 46xxxx I’ve never known any numbers starting 46 on my exchange, they’re predominantly 60xxxx and some 540,541,526,527 etc. Is it possible to get a recognisable number for the exchange the service will be on or even the one that the ceased line has been renumbered to as it says on 17070. While it’s not a major problem, it would be preferable to have a number from the 60xxxx range generally associated with the exchange? I phoned 150 and they said it could be because it’s a DV order and not an order for traditional broadband but weren’t really sure why it was given a number starting with 46xxxx or why the reserved 60xxxx number for the line wasn’t used. Surely it’s possible to have a DV number from the same range as the exchange for the area. These 46xxxx numbers seem to be scattered around on various exchanges within our area code and not allocated to a specific exchange. I was hoping to get a 60xxxx number which represents the area served by our exchange before the service goes live if at all possible 😊

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Number allocated for new order for Broadband with DV

Go to solution

With digital voice being VOIP the phone number is no longer associated with any telephone exchange unlike the old PSTN service 

It also means that if you move home to a different area you can keep your number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I don’t get it though because I’m going to have to plug the router into the phone socket to get the internet to work and the information says the line number is defined as 60xxxx so why have they allocated a different number when there’s one already allocated to the line. I’m sure it can’t be that difficult to  use the number that the line is defined as.

I’m beginning to think I should have ordered Broadband with normal phone and not DV because then it would’ve probably been activated using the  number the line is defined as and then migrated to DV at a later date because then the 60xxxx number would just carry over when the PSTN is switched off 😞

I chose BT as I thought I’d get a traditional exchange number because Sky, Now, Virgin,Talk Talk etc allocate from their own number ranges.

I’m not sure which department to contact to ask if this can be done before the ordered service goes live next week 🤦‍♂️

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

The option to have broadband and a normal PSTN line may no longer be available, as that is the case for nearly all broadband orders. The old copper line number will be a "stopped" line and not available to be used as it would be associated with the local exchange which is being closed down.

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I had an original BT number from the local exchange that was ported out to a VoIP provider. With BT allocating the new DV number on this new 46 number range would it be possible then to port the ported out number back into BT and use that to replace the allocated DV number which would then give me the 60xxxx number as my BT landline? 🤔

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

What on earth does it matter what number you have!! Storm in a teacup. It's not as if you are trying to retain a number you have had for many years.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

No idea why it's such an issue it's only a number at the end of the day but to answer something else you've said it will not be able to be changed before the service goes live

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Yes well fortunately the ported out number was a number that had been used for 51 years so at least we’ve still got that. If they didn’t mess about with numbers and maintained regional prefixes and geographic identities then it wouldn’t be such a storm in a teacup.

0 Ratings