cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

ONT BOX

I've been having issues with my WiFi since the very start, after having 6 engineers out to my property to no avail it was the customer support guy on the phone line that fixed the issue.

My ONT box and router is near the front door in a cupboard surround by the boiler and fuse box. For some reason this reduces my WiFi to a dismal 3meg.

Using a ethernet cable and moving the router to the living room make the WiFi speed jump to 70 Meg!

Openreach won't move the ONT box because of covid but after a recent chat with BT they openly admitted that openreach have say on what jobs they will and WONT do. They won't relocate my ONT box to fix this issue.

My question... can I plug my ONT box direct into a powerline adapter so that I can move the router to another room?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: ONT BOX

Yes, the  ONT and hub don't have to be co-located. You can either run an Ethernet cable to your chosen location for the hub or use power line adapters. Bear in mind you might lose some speed with powerline adapters.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I'm happy to try anything as 3meg is shocking in its current location.
Thank so much for your quick reply
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If the property is a ‘new build’ , then the developer chose the position of the ONT, they ‘ installed’ the eazibend fibre cable to the external wall from the ONT position, if it was an older property , then whoever ordered the service must have agreed to the position of the ONT ( presumably someone other than yourself )

FWIW, if you did get the ONT moved by Openreach, it wouldn’t be done for free, so relocating the router by whatever method you see fit, will be easier and cheaper.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I’d hazard a guess you live in a New Build?

Despite Openreach giving advice on the best location for ONT’s in their Developers Handbook and or the Installation of a Cat Cabling Network Builders/Developers have this annoying habit of putting them in awkward places like Utility Cupboards and not providing any Data Extensions.

As your house should still be under the Builders Warranty you could maybe ask them to move the ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Don't worry about the position of the ONT as much as the position of the router. Aslong as the router can connect to the ONT via ethernet, you can move the router to anywhere in the house.

An electrician could run you some cat6 cable to the area of the house you want the router if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. 

Message 7 of 8

@desh  Why should anyone pay an electrician to do a job the builder/devloper should have done in the first place?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@pippincp nothing wrong with having a plan B.