cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: ONT replacement

This is a very Trumpian remark, whilst I too would like other options, I purchased an FTTP service from BT which was delivered exactly as advertised. I could have bought the same service from Zen or others, but the underlying service provided by Openreach would be the same. In both of these cases the service is driven by the market, demand and volume. I would not like to speculate what tiny percentage of customers would have needs matching yours, so to call this a disgrace seems to be beyond egregious on your part!.

Message 12 of 15

If you bought a Sky TV service, then you are tied to their kit, nowhere is it implied or suggested that you can use your own equipment , similarly, if you purchase a service based on OR’s FTTP , then the service bought includes the network termination point , (or optical network termination point) so (obviously) that isn’t yours to interfere with, if you want to change out the ‘router’, and your ISP is happy for you to do that, then that’s OK, but the ONT isn’t yours or the ISP’s, and given that , your opinion of that supposed lack of flexibility is moot, it’s part of the service you subscribed to, if it isn’t what you want, then you could pay the ETC and leave, but to claim it’s disgraceful that you cannot dictate that they change it to something your would prefer is nonsense.
Message 13 of 15

The current Nokia ONT's aren't 10Gb either.
They are GPON ONT's with a single 1 Gb Ethernet port.

OpenReach are supplying the Nokia 7368 ISAM ONU G-010G-Q

https://wdcnet.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Nokia_7368_ISAM_ONU_G-010G-Q_Data_Sheet_EN.pdf

As mentioned if you currently have a Huawei ONT then OpenReach won't install a
Nokia ONT.
The ONT Vendor must match the OLT Vendor in the exchange.

This isn't strictly necessary with GPON but OpenReach would lose access to vital telemetry if they mixed vendors ONT/OLT's, so they don't.
It's actually configured not to work, with many examples of engineers bringing the wrong make of ONT only to find it won't work.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

@licquorice 
This bit.

"Hmm, that's a good idea, convert an electrical signal to an optical signal for about 6" and then back to electrical again"

There are no optics involved in a copper SFP+ module and the link from that to the Nokia interface would be copper.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Snappy comeback 🙂

Anyway, you can't use your SFP+ connector whatever type of media channel you wish to use as the ONT is not going to be changed anytime soon.
It would seem to be a bit of overkill to run a 10gbps from a 1gps optical even if you could replace the ONT.
0 Ratings