Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barnsh14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Odd broadband behaviour.

Hi

i moved to this house a year ago .

Started with the 8m download speed until finally got back in the real world with FTTC when the cabinet went live,  happy days ....I thought.

All was well,  and since being one of the first on Cabinet 8 in Pitlochry last June  I was  getting an average of 49 m download and 11 upload. This goes nicely rock solid  for about 3 months then what happens is , whilst browsing I get the “ problem with your router page up “ waited a moment then browsing was fine again but slow . I ran bt wholesaled speed test and get 26m upload and 1,3 download  and IP profile 29.

I called out Openreach as when I phoned I was  told there was a problem with the cabling outside the house. The engineer turned up to the house to test and told me I had too many sockets ( nothing has changed since outset), no added sockets, nothing.

I only have 4 sockets and only 2 are in use , one for router (HH6) and one for phone. He crimped the wires behind an unused socket to remove it, checked the others did a reset and the speed jumped back to 50 download 11 upload.

Three months later At 18:00 last night  I ran a speed test got the good speed 49/11)  then within a couple of hours I got the HH6 web page saying hub is having trouble again , restarted hub ( don’t like doing this) but speed came back to 48m down 11 up.

This remained all last night and today ,  till tonight I got the “Hub having problems page” and speed back to 26 down 1.4 up profile at 29.

should I just call BT again tomorrow , seems I’m going in circles every three months. 

Thanks for any help

s

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Barnsh14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Re: Odd broadband behaviour.

Would you believe it ...just ran another speed test and get 45/8.8 after 4 hours.
What’s going on 🤔
0 Ratings
Barnsh14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

9EA27AFB-8648-4CCB-B3EA-0B97F272D943.png

0 Ratings
Barnsh14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

52C07308-8403-41C9-8E61-794B6EDDEACC.jpeg

0 Ratings
RobbieBaron
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 24

Please post your router stats. When posting varying BT Performance Test results & other speedtests post as well your router stats for the same time.

0 Ratings
Barnsh14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Thanks for your reply Robbie,

It ran at 45M until about an hour ago where by its dropped to 34M/2M

Heres the stats you requested

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 16.07.04.png

0 Ratings
Barnsh14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

I also seem to have a fair amount of DSL Link Down in the logs

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

@Barnsh14 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Barnsh14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Hi,

just dug out my analogue phone as there was a hum on the cordless,  and I can here crackling on the line.

i guess I need BT to sort that first.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

@Barnsh14 wrote:

Hi,

just dug out my analogue phone as there was a hum on the cordless,  and I can here crackling on the line.

i guess I need BT to sort that first.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

Its important to check at the test socket first, to make sure that the fault is external.

infinity_test.jpg