cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noelect
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Oh dear, another tale of woe ...

On the 17th of May I received an email from BT saying,  'Hurrah you can now have Infinity on your line, order here'.

I did consider if I really needed it, as I already have 18.5Mb download on ADSL2, but thought I would take a look.  I arrived at a BT webpage page offering an 'on-line exclusive' of Infinity 1 for £15/mth, £30 installation and a Sainsbury's voucher for £50.  Not bad I thought and attempted to place the order, only to be told the offer was unavailable.

I rang BT and was told the offer wasn't on their list, but instead they could offer Infinity 2 at a good price, so I ordered that.  I was told I would get a confirmation email, but not having received anything I rang on the 22nd and was told the order had failed, but not to worry as they would place the order there and then and arrange the installation visit etc, which they did.  I received the confirmation and other emails informing me when the pack and a Hub 3 would be delivered and then one saying "You have chosen to close your BT Broadband Talk account" which I hadn't, they had.  I must admit though that I was aware that the service wouldn't work on a Hub 3, so wasn't that surprised.

To overcome this I tried to order 'Friends and Family International' but was told by sales that I couldn't order two things at the same time and that if I wanted the F&F International service they would have to cancel the Infinity order first, bizarre/incompetent or what?

When I have an open order with Amazon they don't make me wait until I have received the item before I can order something else.  This is yet another example of BT making life difficult for their customers, but worse was to come.

My wife decided to call her brother in France and as a result we now have a £10.70 bill for the call, all because BT ceased one service and won't allow me to order another.

Then on the 24th, I had a call informing me that BT could NOT supply the Infinity service, as there was no available equipment in the exchange and that I would have to wait a week while they investigated how long it would be, before more could be installed.

In the meantime they have cancelled my installation appointment, giving as the reason "Your appointment is no longer required, as our engineer can connect your line without requiring access to your premises. The engineer will work to connect your line at the exchange."  As he brings the modem etc I can only assume that magic is to be employed.

If I go online, BT are still stating that I and my neighbours, can order Infinity, although they are undeniably aware that they can't supply the service.

They have also sent the wrong box of cables etc.  The one I have contains 2 filters and a filter to hub cable.  I have no 'red Ethernet cable', to connect the modem to the hub.

I know from yesterdays experience at a friends.  Where BT had sent a contractor, to carry out the installation, who had been given a van and half an hours instruction on plugging in the modem. He had to revert a working FTTC line back to ASDL because he was faced with the dreaded 'no red cable in the box' situation.  It wasn't until after he had left, that I realised any Ethernet cable would have worked.

So now we wait for the next surprise, I suspect that for BT it might be along the lines of: 'What's that? I didn't know we had a left hand, or the realisation that they couldn't organise something in a brewery.

Happy days, well they were.

Regards Noel
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 18

Re: Oh dear, another tale of woe ...

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry to hear of the problems you have had and the extended delay in having Infinity installed.  I can help with this.  I will need your details to find out what is going on.

Please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile.  (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section).  Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 18

If it's any help, the red cable is just a bog-standard ethernet cable, that happens to have red connectors on the end.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Thanks for the reply, however I think I had said as much when I wrote:
"'no red cable in the box' situation. It wasn't until after he had left, that I realised any Ethernet cable would have worked".

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I realise two months has passed since I posted on this forum, but I thought I would provide an update. I always hate reading about a problem and never finding out if it was resolved.

I won't go into detail, suffice to say that after many false starts Wholesale and Retail got there act together and provided more ports in the cabinet and after even more false dawns, on the 12th of June Infinity 2 was installed.

There then followed the 'settling in' period when download speeds dropped to 5Mbps in the evening, remember I was previously receiving a stable 18.5Mbps on ADSL 2 and for less money. Wholesale and Retail argued about who was to blame and in the end, as it didn't really affect my real world usage, I just accepted the severe fluctuations, which now appear to have settled down to evening lows, which do not affect service.

You might think this was an end to it, but you would be wrong!

BT then cancelled my free 'BT Talk' account, due to it not working with Hub 3. So I attempted to 'purchase' their strangely entitled 'Friends & Family International' service, as an alternative means of allowing us to make cheaper international calls.

Although BT accepted the order, a few days later they cancelled it explaining that they could not handling more that one order at a time? When they cancelled the order they also managed to stop my 'Anytime' service and started charging me for all calls.

My next bill was a complete mess, services charged at the wrong rate, service double charged, additional charges added in for good measure and call charges. As I pay up front for my line rental my usual bill is for around £25, they managed to pump this up to £85. Fortunately I have a degree in BT billing and a calculator, so I was able to unravel it and advise BT on the errors and how much it should have been.

We have just received our current bill and although most of it correct, they have unilaterally decided to change, my agreed and confirmed 18 month contract, with an applied monthly discount of £8.75, to a 12 month one with a discount of £8.50. This means that I am some £55 worse off.

BT are currently trying to deal with this latest mistake, they have promised the usual call backs, but as usual these have not materialised.

The bright side to this is that Dean McFarland, BTCare Forum Moderator took ownership of the original problem and has to a great degree steered us through the BT maze. Unfortunately of late he appears to have disappeared, perhaps he tried to hard.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

no Dean is still around as are the entire forum mod team if you would like there help then just post here that you need them and they will contact you
0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Hi John

As Dean had previously written "As mentioned before, if you run into any other problems at all with any part of your BT service please feel free to come back to me and I'll get you sorted out".  I sent emails on the 8th and 16th this month regarding, I must admit another issue, to date there has been no reponse to these emails.

Today I sent one reiterating these concerns and updating my the 'Oh Dear' saga with the latest encounter with BT.

Looks a tad damp over there.

Cheers Noel

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

the mod team at the moment are very busy and there normal reply times are considerably longer than normal they have also now changed there contact method and there old link is now closed
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

I would take no notice of these "They are busy....." comments.

They should get unbusy(if there's such a word) and get your problem sorted out.

Do not take no for an answer.

Have a look at this web site http://www.ceoemail.com.

All the email addresses of the people you need are here. Let them know you are not happy in the strongest possible terms, without abuse and they will elevate your problem and hopefully get it resolved for you.

This is the first time I have put this link on this forum, it will be a good experiment to see if it gets deleted.

All the best

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Hi John

Sorry just to to clarify, "they have also now changed there contact method and there old link is now closed"

So is the email address I have been using redacted now not the right one? 

Cheers Noel

0 Ratings