cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Old BT Modem died today, HomeHub 6 now connected but soooooo slow.......please help

My old BT Modem, the hot-running old Huawei one, has worked faithfully for years with my Asus Dark Knight router until this morning when the DSL light suddenly vanished.  Modem still on but very very hot and no DSL light. 

Tried rebooting resetting etc no luck.

Had a brand new Home Hub 6 in the cupboard so plugged that in directly and heyho it connects no problem, but oh so slow - getting speeds of around 6-7Mbps which is dire given I am working from home in a key NHS role 😞

Tried troubleshooting via BT site and it says no fault found - engineer provisionally booked for 24th which is nearly 10 days time - will not cope work wise with no connection for so long.

Is it normal for the new HH to have a "settling in" period and will the speed improve?   I was getting a consistent 24 - 29Mbps before this morning which is about as good as it gets in my area.

No changes to home setup - no pets have destroyed wiring either!

Alternatively,  have found a BT modem via ebay - the ETC one rather than the Huawei as I believe they were better - perhaps best to reattach my router via the setup that worked so well for years? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Old BT Modem died today, HomeHub 6 now connected but soooooo slow.......please help

It's ECI and they are not better as they don't support G.Inp

Possibly your old modem in the process of failing caused DLM to intervene hence current slow speed. Can you post your router stats please

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: Old BT Modem died today, HomeHub 6 now connected but soooooo slow.......please help

Which screen do I need to post up from the hub's interface?   Sorry not used to the HH as used the asus for years!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Advanced settings  -technical log- information

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Firmware version:

SG4B100021EC

Firmware updated:

12/05/16

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 4 Hours 45 Minutes 8 Seconds

Data rate:

454 bps / 9.31 kbps

Maximum data rate:

454 / 8820

Noise margin:

6.3 / 3.6

Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

472 MB Uploaded / 2045 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-85F6

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-85F6

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 40)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Band steering:

Off

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

40:C7:29:1F:51:18

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Hmm, its not DLM taking umbrage, you appear to be syncing at the highest speed you are likely to get.

Can you enter you phone number in the DSL checker and post a screenshot of the result please? Remember to edit out your phone number from the screenshot before posting.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

36.321.17.2518Available----
35.219.97.24.816.5Available----
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 4.5--3 to 7AvailableAvailable--
Up to 3.5--2.5 to 6.5AvailableAvailable--
1----AvailableAvailable--
1----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-06-02
Other Offerings Availability Date VDSL Multicast ADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment Status Bridge Tap V R I NTE Face Plate Last Test Date
N
N
N
21-05-2020

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

update - the landline seems to have a fault although the BT fault checker says there is none - it is just background noise and a very faint dialtone

Will try to find a plug in handset as the one on there is a cordless and is never used.......

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Yes, I suspect the hot modem  is a red herring and not the modem dying and the lack of DSL light, the line dying.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

The line has a problem - managed to get through to Dundee and not India thankfully and following opening up the socket and checking the phone in the test socket, the lady booked an "urgent" call for Wednesday as I am an NHS doctor working from home doing remote clinics etc and wa sin a right pickle today with my clinic.......Luckily have a small mifi unit and managed to attach via 4G.  HH flashes blue intermittently now but mostly red........and yet BT still insist there is "nothing wrong in the network".   I suppose it could be the socket that has gone faulty?  Only have the main socket, no extensions and it has been undisturbed for several years.......

0 Ratings