cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Old aluminium network FTTC problems

so recently moved home, only moved to next village over but far enough to be supplied by a different cabinet. ive had issues from day 1. took about a week from BB to turned on after activation date but thanks to the halo 1 4g mini hub was able to remain connected with decent speeds of 25mbps down and a really good upload (cant remember exactly but it was double digits between 10 and 20) i have bt fibre 1 complete wifi and halo 1 paying around £45pm

However the issue is now that i am connected to the BB and my 4g hub has been switched off i am receiving lower speeds than what i was getting on the 4g hub. sync speed is 22 down and 2.5 up, the speed i can get with all devices disconected and 1 laptop wired best speed i can get is 21down and 1.5up. this fault has been raised 2/11/20 and instantly bt decided to remove my right to leave despite me being under min speed (promised 23mbps) cube engineer came out 12th didnt solve anything, openreach booked for 18th didnt turn up. openreach rebooked for 20th. he tells me reason for slow speed is network is made of aluminium cables and there is also something called cable fill. called back on the 21st to find out what bt can do about it, fault has already been closed saying it has been repaired, so another fault has been raise again (got right to leave  with another openreach engineer booked for 23th, he comfirms the same thing but also says im approx 1km from cab.

ive so far had 3 engineers come out and are basically saying that im not going to get my estimated speeds (27 - 36) and that im only really going to be get 22 - 24. the openreach engineers have told me im on a 40/10 line and possibly going onto a 80/20 line may improve but wont be by much. speaking with an advisor thats trying to find out how to get a 80/20 line but not having much luck so far.

im considering just leaving bt as seen a much better deal with EE reckon that can supply me estimated speeds of 61-68mbps and min speed of 55 for £27. contract ends in april or will be able to leave 21dec if bt cant fix speed (or just remove my right again), might just pay to leave anyway if EE can deliver.

any advice??

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Old aluminium network FTTC problems

@gamefreak342 

Welcome to this user forum.

It does not matter which FTTC provider you use, the cable will still be the same, and your speed will be the same.

Enter your number into this form, and display the results here, after editing out your phone number.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Upgrading to a higher speed will not help, if your line is not capable of that speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

I'm on an aluminium line which limits speeds, not badly, to 60Mb download.  OR told me they would never replace these, as FTTP was coming.  It is. There is work on a pole behind my house and this time next year I expect to have been on FTTP for some time. Meanwhile, a 5G pole is also coming too, but I don't fancy that.

There is no alternative other than Virgin - who wanted to dig up my garden and drill holes in walls 400mm thick. Everyone else uses the existing, obsolescent cables.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

hello keith, i didnt think provider would make much difference, just didnt quite understand how EE would be able to offer something no one else can offer, even their fibre standard was offering 33-36 estimate with min speed of 30.

wholesale.jpgif i am unstanding this correct i should be able recieve better speeds than what i am? please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

hello imjolly,

the quiet line test has been done by 3 engineers, i am not been able to do it myself (no Corded/wireless phone) but didnt listen in when one of the engineers did the test and couldnt hear anything.

bthub.jpghere are the stats from my Hub, i cant make much sense of this apart from speed.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

EE would not have been aware of the cable type.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

from your hub stats you are getting as much as you line can handle with connection speed virtually at attainable speed.  with aluminium lines there is not much you can do regardless of ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

i have socket 7. version 5c mk4
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

hi imjolly, i had a feeling that was the case, currently talking with bt tech support and they have really being trying to find out if there is anything that can be done to improve speed. waiting to hear back from her about the engineers suggestion of a 80/20 line to see if it would be a possiblity (had to be raised to a manager)
0 Ratings