cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

On BT option 4 FTTP but not getting anywhere near the "up to" 300mbps i am paying for

Good evening everyone,

I really dont know what to do so i hope you can help me. I am very lucky to be given the oppertunity to have FTTP option 4 in my very rural area to the best of my knowledge there are only two others who have same service after chatting to the engineer who did the stage 1 install. before this i was struggling to get my head above 1.4mpbs. 

I have had the service now for nearly two months but am not getting anywhere near the speeds that i was told i would get.

on an average day I get between 46mbps to 180mbps, if I as others have stated test first thing in the morning after three or four tests I will get anywhere between 276mbps to 305mbps. then throughout the day it will reduce until the evening and settle around 76mbps 

I do all the tests connected directly to the HH (smart up with ultrafast logo on the front) via rj45 cable

I have checked to make sure the network connection if 1.0 Gbps it is.

my exchange says that I can get up to 330Mbps - 

I have tried to claim my £20 pounds from my bt speed test but as far as I can see this is fiction there is nowhere I can see that will let me claim this, I have raised several calls all simply disappear, spoken to helpdesk ....... well enough said there.

I have checked my speed on ookla / fast / my bt / btwholesale (interestingly on running diagnostics it says that I am not in a FTTP area) though as I type this I am looking at the lovely big white shining fibre modem that the engineer fitted after the fibre drop cable was but outside so not sure if that might have something to do with it, that aside the speeds are all +/- 10mbps in the same range.

I really don't mind if I will only get consistently 100mbps but I certainly do not wish to be paying over the odds for a ultrafast connection that is short changing me by approximately 200mbps .

Please can you very helpful people / mods help as to how I can resolve this in a timely fashion - I work for a living so cant spend 3 hours a day on the phone bouncing round and ending back at the start again on th broadband helpline getting told I am on wireless when I am not.

I know it sounds negative but I have had the taste of speed and now 🙂 and moreover I wish to get what I am paying for and at present I am defiantly not!

Kind regards

Tarwddu

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: On BT option 4 FTTP but not getting anywhere near the "up to" 300mbps i am paying for

Unfortunately the mods here anot help with FTTP problems. Use this help line number. 0800 032 0843

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Re: On BT option 4 FTTP but not getting anywhere near the "up to" 300mbps i am paying for

thanks for the reply - but just so you / others are aware that number you provided sadly is out of service 😞 managed to get through to FTTP people after 34 min wait have an engineer coming tomorrow so will see what happenes

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I doubt the engineer will be able to do anything, it would appear to be a congestion problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

internal or external congestion?

i doubt it would be external as i say i am very rural  in a 10 mile radius of me there could be no more than 40 houses and i boubt they are all on FTTP? is that what you mean i could understand if i was in in the middle of Cardiff

internal devices that are on currently are my work laptop and my iphone even the HH6 shoudl be able to manage that level of traffic

or have i missed your point sorry? - not being sharp if it is something i can look into i will 

regards

Tarwddu

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Tarwddu wrote:

thanks for the reply - but just so you / others are aware that number you provided sadly is out of service 😞 managed to get through to FTTP people after 34 min wait have an engineer coming tomorrow so will see what happenes

Thanks for letting me know about that number being no longer in service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Tarwddu wrote:

i doubt it would be external as i say i am very rural  in a 10 mile radius of me there could be no more than 40 houses and i boubt they are all on FTTP? is that what you mean i could understand if i was in in the middle of Cardiff

internal devices that are on currently are my work laptop and my iphone even the HH6 shoudl be able to manage that level of traffic

or have i missed your point sorry? - not being sharp if it is something i can look into i will 

regards

Tarwddu

It depends on the head end you are connected to which will be miles away.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Tarwddu wrote:

Congestion somewhere in the backhaul network from whatever node you are connected to, not locally.

0 Ratings