cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quaffa
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

On Infinity 2, and my download speeds this week down to 1.1 mbps!

Go to solution

Hi all.

We have BT Infinity Option 2 installed, which we understood was supposed to be 'superfast'. The estimated download speed for our postcode is supposed to be 'up to 76 mbps'. I know that is an 'up to' speed, and it will vary depending on neighbourhood usage at any given time, but...

This week I've noticed that pages seem to be taking a while to load up, and things like Google Maps location (which I believe dependent on something to do with one's internet connection owing to the lack of GPS in a MacBook) is showing as 'unable to determine'.

So I have been going to some speed testing sites to see what we're currently getting. Yesterday afternoon one test I did revealed a download speed of just 1.1 mbps. (No, I've NOT put the decimal point in the wrong place!) Ping times range from 45 to 1315 milliseconds, and the average download speed measured over nine tests over three days is just 7.74 mbps.

As I say, I'm aware that the 76 mbps is an 'up to' figure, but I do get the impression that I'm paying a premium price for a supposedly fast service, and I'm being somewhat short-changed. So I'm considering downdrading to a non-fibre product. What have I got to lose?

Any observations at all, please? Am I being unreasonable in expecting a faster speed?

The figures I'm quoting above were tests done over my wi-fi network, but they were not official BT tests because I don't use a Home Hub router. I have a BT Openreach modem, which is connected to my Apple Time Capsule router/backup drive.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: On Infinity 2, and my download speeds this week down to 1.1 mbps!

Go to solution

Please can you please provide http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  results including the further diagnostics page?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
quaffa
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, your suggestion proved that my problem actually lies with my wi-fi signal, and not with the broadband signal that's coming into the house. Smiley Embarassed

The actual speed, when I'm wired to my router by ethernet cable, turns out to be between 50-55 mbps down, and around 14 mbps up. So I can't complain about that.

Those speeds are maintained on wi-fi when I have my laptop right next to the router, which is upstairs 'for better coverage', but when i go downstairs it returns back to the lower levels in my original post.

So it looks like I need a new wi-fi router with better range.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Get a decent 3rd party one and you should be good to go.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
0 Ratings
quaffa
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, thanks. I already have those connecting the TV and the Sky+ box.

I've managed to blag myself a free Home Hub 6 for the moment; I will see how that goes, and if it doesn't help it will be Linksys or TP-Link, I suppose.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

The HH6 has it's problems.

0 Ratings