cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_Liam_Doyle
Contributor
Message 1 of 38

On-going problems with BT Infinity Broadband (Fibre to Cabinet)

Go to solution

Hello,

I have been experiencing over two months of problems with BT Infinity Broadband. To summarise:

1. I have a BT Smart Hub 6

2. The connection has always been unstable, particularly in the evenings and weekends

3. This means, instead of a solid blue light and connectivity, I regularly experience flashing orange and purple lights.... sometimes for hours on end

4. After weeks of these problems, Dynamic Line Management reduced my speed to 2Mbps and I still had instability

5. I've had 5 BT engineers visit me. The verdict is the same each time: there is no problem with the line, it passes all test with flying colours, no errors are detected, I should be getting at least 15 Mbps.

The fourth engineer suggested that if the problems continued, I should request a downgrade to a DSL connection as Fibre-to-Cabinet may be the problem. So, last week, I got the ball rolling with this (although it took 3 attempts to get an engineer out).

The fifth engineer has been this morning and told me that he couldn't downgrade to DSL even if he wanted to. So, he reset DLM and left me with 10Mbps connection. Maybe this time it will hold...

Well, it took about an hour before the familiar flashing orange and purple light returned and it has been pretty much like that for over half an hour now.

Please can someone advise me where I go from here? 

Do I need a different modem (the one I've got was delivered new back in July, but maybe there is some fault in it. I don't have any other modem to test the line with)?

Do I need to downgrade to DSL? (If so, how can I make that happen?)

Or, after 5 engineer visits, has something somehow still been overlooked?

Any help or guidance would be gratefully received: I'm at a completely loose end now.

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: On-going problems with BT Infinity Broadband (Fibre to Cabinet)

Go to solution

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Or post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

0 Ratings
Chris_Liam_Doyle
Contributor
Message 3 of 38

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the swift response. I've just called 17070 and selected option 2 for the quiet line test and it is indeed silent inbetween the announcements.

The results from the 'Broadband Availability Checker' are as follows:

Untitled.png

I have Smart Hub 6 but I'll give the links a go on a separate post shortly.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Ratings
Chris_Liam_Doyle
Contributor
Message 4 of 38

Go to solution

And here is information from the technical log:

1.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 38

Go to solution

Its showing that the line is down at the moment. Can you repost the info when the line is connected?

It also shows that the last connected state was normal ADSL max.

You should have been able to get BT Infinity unless there is a really bad fault on your line.

0 Ratings
Chris_Liam_Doyle
Contributor
Message 6 of 38

Go to solution

Okay Keith, unfortunately it has been down the whole time since before I posted the first message. And, after 5 engineer visits, a really bad fault on the line should surely have been detected! Still, once I'm back up, I'll post the information again.

Could it be the modem? If so, how can I get a replacement?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 38

Go to solution
It is not a hub problem as Keith has posted you are not on infinity you are on ADSL Max standard copper broadband
0 Ratings
Chris_Liam_Doyle
Contributor
Message 8 of 38

Go to solution

Thanks John. So, when the engineers are telling me I'm on Fibre-to-Cabinet, is that the same as ADSL Max standard?

The bottom line is, I just want a stable broadband connection, I'd happily live with 8Mbps too. If 5 engineers say the line is all good and the modem is not the problem then where do I go from here?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 38

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

While you are waiting.

Which one of these matches your phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg or  newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
Chris_Liam_Doyle
Contributor
Message 10 of 38

Go to solution

Thanks again, Keith, much appreciated.

The fourth picture matches my phone socket, which was newly installed in August.

0 Ratings