Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ehjk
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

One laptop restricted to around 9Mbps wired or wireless

Go to solution

Hello everyone.

Seeking some advice regarding my BT Infinity 2 broadband.

I have a 80 Mbps service for which when wired to the HH I get around 75-79 Mbps - great. Wirless tends to drop a bit, but I get minimum of 25 Mbps on my wireless devices which is sufficient. Wireless devices are iPhone, iPad, MS Surface, Laptops etc. However, I have one machine that is giving me massive headaches because it will never go over 9 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up regardless if it is wired or wireless. At this point I assume the HH is okay but must be a configuration compatibility issue between this machine and something on the HH/Infinity2 service.

I have a 15m Cat 6 cable running up two flights of stairs. At the end of the cable I have 2 laptops, one on Win 7 32 bit and the other on Win Vista 32 bit (work laptop, can't upgrade the OS but can install software etc). Vista laptop is the troublesome laptop.

If I plug the ethernet cable into the Win 7 machine I get 75 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload.

If I plug the ethernet cable into the Win Vista machine I get 8 - 8.9 (occasionally 9) Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.

If I put a Netgear AC6200 Wireless adapter into the Win 7 machine I get approx 35 Mbps dowload and 9 Mbps upload.

If I put a Netgear AC6200 Wireless adapter into the Win Vista machine I get approx 8 - 8.9 (occasionally 9) Mbps dowload and 5 Mbps upload.

Everything is pointing at the machine but I just cannot get the down speed higher than 9 no matter what I try.

Anybody ever had anything remotely like this? 

Going to try some other tests but any advice is appreciated.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: One laptop restricted to around 9Mbps wired or wireless

Go to solution

It would appear to be the laptop rather than your network as everything else is working as should be. I would start with the laptops network card. Update the network card drivers from the card manufaturer web site rather than through Windows update. Once that has been done report back.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Check with Antivirus and firewall turned off. Seems unlikely, but possible.

Check in safe mode with networking.
0 Ratings
Sadbiker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
There seems to be a old chipset which has this issue, I have a old laptop which can't get full speed compared to my newer laptops. Never got to the bottom of it than must be a issue with the 10mb 100mb sensing. Even if I set it to 100mb still never more than 10mb. The engineer who fitted the infinity has come across it before.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Change the Power Options to "Maximum Performance" both when the laptop is on battery and plugged in. This has been known to help.

• Change the wireless power saving setting:
  • Open Power Options in Control Panel
  • Choose Change Settings for the current power plan
  • Choose Change Advanced Power Settings
  • Expand Wireless Adapter Settings
  • Expand Power Saving Mode
  • Choose Maximum Power Saving, Medium Power Saving, Low Power Saving to enable various levels of 802.11 power save modes.
0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Tried all suggestions, still no luck.

I even removed QOS Packet Scheduler from the adapter configurations just in case but no change. Always sits around 8 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Another thing to check is that you don't have TCP/Ipv6 box ticked in the Network properties box.

0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Tried that, no joy.

I even just tried setting up an adhoc connection between the laptop getting 75Mbps and the Vista laptop, but the Vista laptop still only gets around 8Mbps Smiley Sad

Driving me mad why there would be such a restriction, especially on the machine that I need to use the most.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Is there anything installed by your employer that could be causing the restriction?

0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

There was Riverbed Steelhead Mobile Client, but I've disabled that. Symantec Protection Agent installed but disabled also during testing.

Tested with the built in WiFi N adapters and an external Wifi AC Adapter (running in N mode) with the same result.

Nothing else running/installed that I can see would have an effect so I am now shooting in the dark...

Ran tools like TCP Optimiser just in case, no difference.

I got another laptop, different hardware, that was running windows 8 and that had no issues (79Mbps wired, 35ish Mbps wireless).

*Bangs head on desk*

0 Ratings