cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 11 of 18

Re: One laptop restricted to around 9Mbps wired or wireless

Go to solution

You could try a linux live CD or thumb drive on the laptop.  That would confirm or rule out (pretty much) all software/OS related issues.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

What sort of speeds do you get when running on your works network?

0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

I've not been on the corporate network for a while to check, I almost always use VPN access.

Now I did the safe mode boot test with networking, and wirelessly I get about 22Mbps down and 15Mbps up. So it appears to be a software or resource issue/restriction. I did a wired test but still only got 25Mbps unlike the other laptops I have.

Back in normal mode and it sticks to 8Mbps...will keep trying to trace the culprit...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

Grasping at straws but do you have any add ons on your web browser that could be slowing things down. Have you tried a different web browser. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

Just another thought, have you ran a malware and virus check incase there is something malicious slowing your system which was not active when in safe mode.

0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Woohoo, found it!

There is a teefer2 driver (part of Symantec End Point security) hooked in to the network connections, it was restricting the throughput as all packets get passed to/from it.  Remove it from the LAN connection and I get the 75Mbps I wanted (including 16Mbps up).

Have to consider the security implications with this change but at least it explains the behaviour now...no more banging head on the table.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Glad you got it sorted. Must be a great product if it restricts your internet so badly!!

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution
Symantec have a history of products that significantly slow down processing and internet. They have got somewhat less bad recently. Unfortunately, they also have a history of selling to businesses that require their employees to install it on their work machines (possibly including OP and his laptop).
0 Ratings