cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Ongoing Broadband Fault

Well, the first engineer thought it was a fault with underground cables so said he needed to book another engineer.

The second engineer said he didn't think it was underground cables but more likely cables from a telegraph pole behind my house (my house is fed by an overhead cable from the telegraph pole). He said that he couldn't climb the pole but I can't remember why.

The third engineer found a fault on the cable from the telegraph pole, but on the part that attaches to my house. He said that it was possibly caused when the cable was first installed because there was a nick in the cable, and it was attached too close to the brick so was getting splashback and had become corroded (not sure if this makes sense but bear in mind I'm a lay person trying to repeat what I understood the engineer to mean!) He replaced the corroded/nicked part of the cable and reattached to the wall and then he left because it all seemed to be working. He did a line test and everything. He did say that he had also reset my line so I should expect to get varying speeds for about 10 days.

So it does seem that what the third engineer did actually worked, but only temporarily because it died again about an hour or so after he left and hasn't been working since.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

if the engineer who comes does not get conenction fixed then just come back and take up mod offer of assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

I'm not sure what is happening here now.

I was a bit concerned this morning that I didn't get a text to confirm the engineer appointment (on the previous 3 visits I have received a text in the morning). So I went on to the fault tracking page to look at the notes on my fault - yesterday, 8th July, the fault is showing as Fault Fixed - it says "Your Broadband problem has now been resolved and no further action is required"

I'm not sure why this is, I haven't reported it fixed or cancelled the appointment and nobody contacted me to let me know the appointment had been cancelled, so I'm not really sure what is going on.

0 Ratings
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Apparently the system had automatically detected that my line was working (at 3.38am on the 8th) and automatically closed the fault and cancelled the engineer. I don't know how realistic that is, but I'll have to take their word for it. 

The eingineer has been rebooked for tomorrow, so that's another lost work day, but at this point I'm not sure what else I can do!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Hi @philrm77 Sorry that the engineer appointment for today was cancelled without your knowledge.

Post back and let us know how things go tomorrow and if you are still having issues we will step in to help you.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Hi again.

So the 4th engineer arrived yesterday and in short, the fault is still not fixed.

He replaced some cabling on the outside of my house, and also replaced two junction boxes with a single junction box, but this didn't resolve the problem. When he left he said that the only other thing that he could think to do is to replace the drop cable from the nearby telegraph pole and said that he would come back today to do this.

Unfortunately I got a text this morning saying that the engineer would not be able to attend today and that I need to get in touch to rebook another appointment. 

So basically i'm still stuck with no internet after 2 weeks, 4 engineers, one cancelled appointment without letting me know and another appointment cancelled by text.

This is so frustrating! I've no confidence that this is going to ever be sorted. It's costing a fortune in mobile data for the kids and I've lost all goodwill with work for days off, so I've no idea how I'll manage another engineer appointment!

0 Ratings
philrm77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Is this thread still being picked up?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 19

@JohnC2 offered mod help if engineer did not fix fault so one of the mods will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Hi @philrm77 Sorry this fault has still not been fixed for you.

We will be happy to help you get this fixed if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John