cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnAC
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Ongoing problems with broadband connection at street cabinet

Long story: I upgraded from standard BT broadband to BT Infinity 1 (fibre to street cabinet only) a month ago. It had taken three weeks and several engineer bookings before I was finally connected. The Openreach engineer who finally made the connection commented that the cabling that connected the new cabinet with the fibre connections to the old cabinet with the copper connections to my premises was in a mess, with cables wrongly labeled and wired. Two weeks later, both my landline phone and the new broadband went down. I reported this as a line fault. (While my phone was out of action, 'recent usage' reported that a phone-call had been made on my line to a number I didn't recognise - BT tell me this was a crossed wire.) The engineer who came found the fault in the old street cabinet - a loose connection. Fixing this restored both my phone and broadband. He also commented that the wiring in the cabinet was old, in poor condition, and generally a mess.

Today my Broadband is down (I'm sending this by a convenient Openzone hotspot) but phone is working - I've reported this as a broadband fault, and am waiting for some response.

One of my neighbours upgraded to BT Infinity 1 at about the same time - her installation went smoothly, but a week later she lost her phone connection - that was restored without the engineer coming to her flat, so was probably at the street cabinet. Last week both her phone and broadband went down. An engineer came to test the line, found the fault in the street cabinet, repaired a loose connection, and so restored both phone and broadband. He confirmed the comments about the state of the cabinet wiring.

We've now heard the same story from four different engineers - there's something very wrong at that cabinet. We've guessed that whenever an engineer goes there to repair one fault he (inadvertantly) disconnects another phone or broadband user. I think there's only one other neighbour on fibre, but I don't know who it is. We've actually surmised that perhaps only two out of the three of us can be wired up correctly at any one time!

The trouble is, it's a different engineer every time, and they seem to be given no information about the previous reported problems. Is there any way of getting the message to the powers-that-be at Openreach that there seems to be an ongoing problem at that cabinet that they need to resolve, instead of just patching up individual connections as faults are reported - and perhaps just causing more problems? Has anyone been in similar situation? If so, what did you do?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Graham345
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ongoing problems with broadband connection at street cabinet

Sounds very similar to the problems I had whilst with EE, It also turned out to be a wiring and connection mess, In the end (after a month of hell) Openreach finally moved me onto a new line and all's been ok since. I wonder how many people bin their ISP when the real blame and responsibility lies at the feet of Openreach ? You're on the phone 'venting' at some poor sap in India, while the real problem is mooching about in a white van at the end of your street . . .

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 3 of 7

@JohnAC wrote:

Has anyone been in similar situation? If so, what did you do? 

Complain, Complain, Complain, Complain...................................................

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

when Engineers close a fault they have to close it with specific 'Clear Codes'....

If there is a high fault rate at a specific location, in this case a PCP then a Division on Openreach called Network Investment will eventually do a Cab Uplift.... This will normally involve converting a Strips Cross Cab into Quante Connections and running new jumpers......
0 Ratings
JohnAC
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Update: A veteran BT/Openreach engineer came yesterday and restored my broadband.

You know the saying: 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times, it's enemy action'.

This time it was enemy action, at least according to the engineer. When he checked the street cabinet, his conclusion was that a 'contractor' (the long-term Openreach staff engineer's contempt for the independent subcontrators Openreach now farm out some work to) had been to the cabinet first thing on Monday morning (the time when I lost my broadband link) and had (perhaps when working on a fault on somene else's line) disconnected my line '1191'. When replacing it, he'd connected it instead to '1141'.

'My' engineer simply reconnected 1191.

I did ask him if in restoring my broadband he might have disconnected someone else - he said no. However, I still have a worry that yesterday at around 12:30 someone on line '1141' suddenly lost their broadband and has reported it as a fault. Another engineer will come along, whether Openreach staff or 'contractor', will reconnect 1141 and disconnect 1191. Given the usual 'maximum three working days', that takes us to next Monday. If I've still got broadband at the end of Monday I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

By the way, when Infinity 1 is working, it's brilliant!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Its unlikely that a contractor will deliberately disconnect 1191 to fix 1141, and it's equally unlikely that a contractor will do that randomly given there are other connections that could be chosen, so you should be fine now.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
JohnAC
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the reassurance, ray - I'll keep my fingres crossed!

0 Ratings