cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VishalM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Online gaming issues due to master socket change.

Hello Forum,

I'm a BT infinity customer and have been for almost 6 years. When we got BT 6 years ago online gaming was absolutely incredible. It was responive, fast and there was no lag. Unfortuanetly the BT homehub would always disconnect when the landline rang and for years we tried getting that issue solved so about a year and a half ago an engineer came to our property and changed the master socket with the wiring etc. Ultimately all that had to be done was for a microfilter to be added however for years BT couldn't think of that solution. Nevertheless, ever since the master socket was changed, online gaming has been unplayable. There is consistent lag, everything is so delayed and unresponsive ie I cant even run past opponent players on Fifa and I've had this online gaming problem since the day the engineer came and changed the master socket. I'm fed up of it now. Before the master socket change, I was getting around 40meg download and online gaming was perfect however after the master socket change I get 70 meg download but online gaming is awful. Furthermore I've tried online gaming with BT with FON which is only 8.3 meg download and it is much better but still rubbish. Has anybody got any solutions or has experienced the same thing? I can't even change ISP because everyone bar Virgin use the master socket for the internet so I'm assuming I'd still have the same problem if I changed. Virgin is still awful nevertheless. HELP PLEASE. Thank you.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Online gaming issues due to master socket change.

So what are you saying, that the Master Socket is causing the problem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Suggest you try a corded phone into the test point of your main phone socket, check there is no noise if you make a phone call. Maybe worth plugging your home hub into the test point. Make a call to your home number whilst you are on the internet and make sure it does not drop your internet connection.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
VishalM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Yes the master socket is causing laggy online gaming
0 Ratings
VishalM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

The issue isn't a drop in internet connection, that was solved ages ago. Laggy unresponsive online gaming is the issue due to a change in wiring and master socket
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Have you tried using test socket with a filter to see if that solves the gaming issue

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Sorry, but you simply can't say that a change to the master socket is solely responsible for causing your gaming issues. It could be problems with the servers etc. But, yeah try what @imjolly has suggested.
0 Ratings
L3
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

What game u playing if your trying play black ops 4 then servers been downgraded to 20hz from 60hz in the beta. This causes the game to be laggy and pings are higher, for game in 3 years development and multiplayer only and had betas is not good. Your PS4 sending 60hz but cod servers only at 20hz.

Many many complaints over this issue
0 Ratings
L3
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Try not play ps4 WiFi unless it's only the option. Players on WiFi can get interference causing lag.
Wired is always best way, make sure router is set up correctly as incorrect nat causes connection issues.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Very unlikely to be the master socket at fault.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.